Gluten/dairy Intolerance--what Do You Eat And How Did You Figure It Out?

I am lactose intolerant. I had a medical test done, but really, what helped me was just eliminating milk products from my diet. Whenever i would ingest milk after that, i would have symptoms. I look to soy products for substitutes. I also drink Lactaid milk. I have substitutes for just about everything I like. Also, my grandma is gluten intolerant-- she likes things from the Gluten Free Pantry.

Good luck with determining your problem foods-- you might have luck visiting a gastroenterologist to get help with an elimination diet and medical tests.

Kristen

A gastroenterologist would certainly be able to advise about gluten sensitivity. Coeliac disease is caused by gluten sensitivity and eating gluten containing products causes damage to the lining of the small bowel, which inhibits absorption of all foods and often causes diarrhoea. Coeliac disease can be tested for either with a duodenal biopsy taken during an endoscopy (camera test) of the upper digestive system. There are also blood tests that can detect coeliac disease. If you do get scheduled for a test it is important to continue eating gluten containing foods until after the test - cutting out gluten can cause a false-negative result.

As far as I know there aren't any such specific tests for dairy intolerance. I would discuss with your PCP / gastroenterologist before cutting out any specific food groups. You can supplement most dairy products with soya alternatives, just make sure that they are fortified with calcium and vitamin D to prevent osteoporosis.

Hope this helps,

Flop