Cooling Vests

Per Tanzanite's post (extreme heat intolerance) I would like to know if anyone here uses a cooling vest. I have thought about getting one, but not sure it the price would be worth it. If it really works then yes I would spend the money, but what if they don't work well enough??? then I wouldn't want to spend that amount of money on one.

Would love to hear from all of you about this one.

Here are a couple of sites that I have found on these vests. I have not checked them all out...just did a quick search for them. If anyone knows of a good site for one.....please let me know.

http://www.stacoolvest.com/

http://www.arcticheatusa.com/

http://www.glaciertek.com/

http://www.texascoolvest.com/

http://www.coolsport.net/index2.html

You are correct, I do use a cooling vest--I did a lot of research and choose to buy the Cool Sport brand b/c of the way the vest inserts work; they do not "sweat" as other types do when they start to warm up (like a cold drink does on the outside of the container out in the heat), therefore, I stay drier, as I sweat plenty without help. ;)

I do use it lots in the Summer time and it makes me able to be more active outdoors at least for an hour, maybe two before it wears out and I need to go in--or change out the insterts (I have two sets).

Nina

You are correct, I do use a cooling vest--I did a lot of research and choose to buy the Cool Sport brand b/c of the way the vest inserts work; they do not "sweat" as other types do when they start to warm up (like a cold drink does on the outside of the container out in the heat), therefore, I stay drier, as I sweat plenty without help. ;)

I do use it lots in the Summer time and it makes me able to be more active outdoors at least for an hour, maybe two before it wears out and I need to go in--or change out the insterts (I have two sets).

Nina

Nina,

Do you like wearing it? Is it comfortable? or do you find it limits your mobility while wearing it? I am considering buying one, but the expense is a large step for our family right now with only my husband working and I have not been approved for SSDI yet. Do you know if insurance will cover any of the cost if it is proven by a doctor to help with symptoms? Just curious about how to go about it and see what people think of them.

ps...do you wear yours under your cloths?

I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic....it's always better to hear from someone who knows from experience. Thanks for your reply.

Nolie

Hey there Nolie,

I wear mine outside my clothing, so if I no longer need it, it's easy to get off (i.e. I don't have to undress), and it's also easy to change out the cooling inserts. I find it pretty comfortable--I bought the one that's listed as a "lite" version on the website b/c the full sized one looked a little too bulky. I've worn mine gardening, mowing the lawn, and I've worn it in Mexico when we took a tour of ruins and it was 90 out.

People do stare at me, but the only ones who ask questions are usually kids. I posted somewhere here a while ago about a cute interaction between me and a child who was sitting across from me in the doctor's office. Anyway, I don't care about the staring--if it's over 80 farenheit, I'd rather be cool than layed out on the floor with strangers calling 911 thinking I'm dying or something like that!

Nina

Nina, thanks for the answers. I am researching lots of sites to find what I think will suit me. My biggest concern is that I have always gone to everyone of my daughters softball games...I've never missed one, but last year it was very hard. Even though I sat under the tent in the shade, the heat made me so tired and fatigued that I ended up falling asleep before the end of the game. I want to try the vest to see if it helps. If not she understands. She was dx with pots this month, but her symptoms are different than mine. Activity makes her feel better so she pushes herself to play more softball. She is playing high school varsity this year as well as a traveling tournament league which she has been on for years. We spend the whole day gone and I would have to refresh my vest inserts in the cooler. I use to like to garden also and have been unable to due sodue to the heat. Maybe the vest would help me become a little more active outside. My flower beds sure could use some work. My husband just weeds it out and its pretty bare except for the green bushes and trees.

Thanks again.

Nolie

It's getting time to get serious about buying a cooling vest--I live in Florida! A couple of questions for those who have one now: Does the weight/bulk of the Cool Vest brand bother you, for instance for going for a walk or riding a bike? Does it have cool packs in back as well as front? And, has anyone tried the Artic Heat brand? They weigh about half as much, but I'd love to find someone who has tried one cause these are fairly expensive items.

And anyone else who has another brand, would be great to see how you like it--pros and cons.

Thanks.