Barium

lavender

I had a CT scan done on Friday morning. I had to drink barium for it. I'm having a hard time recovering from it. Since the barium, two days ago, I'm just not hungry. If I eat very much or am on my feet at all my stomach gets pretty upset. my tummy is sore to touch. I'm not too worried yet because I am able to eat a little. I'm not sure at what point to be concerned. Has anyone had this trouble with barium?

Any little thing makes my GI freak out.

oops. I'm sorry this posted twice...

It is VERY common for Barium (the lovely drink that it is) to stop you up and really constipate you. It's very, very important that you drink a lot and treat the constipation. Yes, maybe fiber or some kind of laxative? I'm not sure (ask your doctor), but that is probably the problem since it's very common. I was just told to DRINK A LOT after the barium and I have never had a problem.

Yuck, I've had to drink that stuff so many times...thinking of it gives me wretching sensations... ewe.

Anyway, it can really mess with your guts--so do drink fluids if you can. For me, drinking tea (with caffeine) seems to help b/c the stimulant component would get things "going" for me.

hope you've already "gone" and feel better by the time you read this. Nina