Bp Question

lavender

I took my bp today after standing up for a while. it was like 155/ 88, hr 124. I tried raising my arm without the cuff above my head and took my bp agian. I went up to 123/94 hr 133. the numbers dropped back down a bit after putting my arm down. (my laying down heart rate and bp are pretty normal) I also noticed that my hands are very purple when hanging down but my hand turned pretty pale when I had it raised up. Does this happen to anyone? I was curious to test this because I can always feel pressure rush up or down my arms if I have them above my head or hanging down.

IF I stand up with my arms above myhead, it makes my bp flatline- the heart has to work harder to send blood to the arms if they are raised, so your hr will rise a lot.

I can't even stretch in the morning with my arms up or I will fall flat on my face.

I also often find that my hands go cold, and my wholearms- apparently, the body prioritises the blood going to the head! (So I have been told).

yep, this happens to me. actually in a lot of people, normal people without dysauto, blood pools in the hands when dangling down to their sides. a girl i work with doesnt have dysauto, and her hands are NASTY looking when she holds them down to her sides, turn purple and the veins protrude out. ick.

but yes, this happens to me. raising my arms above my head has always been a killer trigger for tachy with me, usually occurs a lot in the shower when i raise my arms over my head to shampoo my hair.

as for my BP, not sure the majority of the time what it is doing, but lately i have been taking it more frequently because i have been feeling really tired...and because when i've gone to the docs the past several weeks, they are getting BP numbers like 82/60 SITTING. crazy. my BP used to be more like 105-110 sitting systolic. not sure if i'm just going through a phase with this or what. i dont even want to know what it is when i am standing if it is hanging around 80 systolic when sitting. this wouldnt concern me at all if i wasnt symptomatic with it because there are people who can have normal BP's in the 80's and feel fine. TRUE hypotension isnt even diagnosed (or labelled hypotension) unless the patient is symptomatic with it. anyway, your pressure is on the elevated side, you said 155 systolic...? are you on beta blocker?

Thanks!

My blood pressure is only high when I stand up. sitting or laying down it's more like between 90/50 to 115/75, heart rate between 60 and 85. Standing up the numbers either leap up or slowly rise. I just recently got Propranolol, but I'm not sure I like how I feel on it. I'm not taking it right now, but I'll be talking with my doctor about it and trying it again. I've been sick lately and needed to make some other med changes, so I'm waiting to try the BB again after other things are more stable.