Thinking About Seeing Dr. Grubb

Rachel

I have not had adequate care for over 8 years now. So I need to see a very good doctor to make sure there isn't anything else going on with my health besides POTS. I might also need to find a new treatment plan. I've heard lots of good things about Dr. Grubb on here, so I thought the trip to see him might be best for me. I was just wondering what to expect from an appointment with him.

Does he just look over past medical records?

Does he do an exam? If so, what all does he do?

Would I do tests while I'm there?

How long of an appointment should I expect?

Does his office accept Medicare?

Sorry - so many questions! :blink: But I don't like surprises!

Rachel

I have not seen Dr. Grubb though I hear a lot about him! He's an excellent doctor, and you should be prepared to have a long wait in the waiting room. Make sure to take plenty of water and salty snacks for your wait. I think I've heard that your appointment with him usually lasts pretty long...not possitive though!

Good Luck! :blink:

I saw him in June and the office visit was 3 part lasting a little over 2 hrs. Part 1 he did an intake, asked a lot of questions, reviewed all my past tests, etc.. Part 2 a thorough exam where he checked pulse, BP in all positions, checked for joint hypermobiltiy, and asked more questions and provided lots of info, part 3 was a slide show on dysautonmia and POTS (which was his diagnosis based on my tests/his eam) and then he gave me his prognosis and he outlined a new treatment plan that was plan a, b, c....it was very comprehensive, no additional tests were needed from him, he did advise addl' blood work to be done back home with my local doctor. The office visit was not covered by my HMO so it was fairly expensive (a little less than $1000 + airfare + hotel) but it was well worth it!! He also gets into some of the psychological aspects of chronic illness. It was like no other dr. visit I have had and I have nothing but the utmost admiration for him. The only downside for me has been my local cardio still waiting to get a response back from his office to move forward with other aspects of his treatment plan, I know he is very very very busy so I have been patient. I will see him again in 2007. Best doctor visit I have ever had!!!!!!!

I see Dr. Grubb and the previous reply pretty much sums it up. He is absolutely wonderful. I was asked plenty of questions by his nurse. Then he spent approx. 2 hours with me taking B/P in various positions and working me up for JHS (joint hypermobility syndrome) which I have and going over a slide show that goes in depth about POTS and autonomic dysfunctions and your body. He explains everything in layman's terms so you and your spouse or family can understand. He told me all my symptoms without me ever saying a word. He gave me a plan of care, etc. I went back 3 weeks later and had an ablation. He readjusted my meds, etc. I feel much better. He is very hard to get with, but you can always get in touch with his NP Bev and see her or talk with her and she communicates back with Dr. Grubb.

To help with expenses, if you stay at the Hilton Hotel right there on the hospital grounds, you get a discount. The room is $59/night for patients, you just have to tell them when you make reservations. It is an 8 hr drive for me, so I always have to stay overnight. The hotel is very extravagant and has a 5-star restaurant inside, so the rate is very affordable.

If you need more info., please feel free to contact me and I will get you more info such as numbers to office and hotel, etc.