Oh The Wonderful Adrenaline Surges

Aprilmarie52

Ok so lately I have been getting the wonderful adrenaline surges. I am keeping well hydrated, eating lots of salt, no caffiene etc. But I am still getting them. Its been going on for a couple of weeks now on and off. I have days when I am so wired that I have to force myself to sit down and days when I can barely get out of bed. I know alot of it propbably has to do with hormones since I am in my first trimester, but I feel like crap. I cant really take anything like xanax because benzos are known to cause birth defects when taken in the first 12-14 weeks of pregnancy. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. The 1st trimester seems to be like this for most POTS patients--e.g., a resurgence of symptoms. Hopefully things will get better as the pregnancy progresses.

Have you tried yoga/meditation/breathing exercises? It may not help much, but I found it a little helpful--at least as far as managing the symptoms psychologically.

Katherine

hi april!

i am sorry that you are having this trouble. isn't it strange how we all are so different? i would LOVE to change places because i feel much better when i'm having adrenalin rushes!!!

hope you will start feeling better soon. katherine's suggestion might be helful, it's worth a try, don't you think?

best wishes to you and i do hope the rest of your pregnancy will go smoothly!

corina :)

April,

I know this may sound too difficult, but any exercise you can do will help -- it's the only thing that helped me through my first trimester this time. Even a walk or 15 minutes on a treadmill can do the trick, or 10 minutes of stair climbing. I think the exercise tones down the nervous system a little.

I felt like garbage until 15 weeks. You WILL feel better, soon!

Amy

Thanks for the responses. Ive pretty much just been trying to rest. I havent been to work this week. The added adrenaline makes me feel to anxious to function at work. This moring I did a little cleaning. I will definately try your suggestions. I go to the dr on friday so Im going to talk to her about this too. Im just upset because I didnt feel like this when I was pregnant with gabby, but I know that every pregnancy is different.