Carbedilol(coreg) Or Labetalol(trandate, Normodyne) For Hyper Pots?

CarmelRob

Just wondered what people's experiences were with Carbedilol(Coreg) and Labetalol(Trandate, Normodyne) since they are both mixed alpha and beta antagonists?

I feel like I'm going crazy doing all the work for my doctors in the state I'm in. The only guides I have to work with are "The Postural Tachycardia Syndrome: A concise Guide to Diagnosis and Management" by GRUBB and "The Postural Tachycardia Syndrome(POTS) Pathophysiology, Diagnosis & Management" by Raj.

If Grubb likes Labetalol, then why doesn't he like Coreg since it has a longer half life and stays in the system longer?

I will be trying Coreg tomorrow but am scared. There's no definitive answer. Everybody on this message board are on different medications, names I've never heard of.

Thanks for your help.

Robert

Robert,

I have POTS as well as hypertension. I am on Labetalol (150 bid, was 300 bid, but I also have asthma which was worse on high doses of betas). I was on 300 bid of Toprol before the Labetalol and actually felt worse with that drug. The Labetalol has helped my BP although my HR continues to be high even when sitting. I haven't experienced any side effects from it except for the tingling it causes on your scalp, it's just an annoyance really. Good luck on your search.

Sheridan

I can feel your frustration with being your own best Dr!

Sounds like you are in the same boat I've been in with the hypertension and fast heart rate. I have ashtma that was made worse by most of the beta blockers.

I responded well to Aldomet initially but then ended up allergic to it. Clonidine was my second best option in a very small dose (please know that sometimes folks like us need to start out on tiny amounts and slowly build).

I have been able to use a small compounded dose (I'm actually taking 1 to 2 mg) of metoprolol. It is somewhat of a pain to have to have the med compounded and obviously much more expensive but it's one of the few that have worked for me.

If you haven't read it yet the Patient handbook on NDRF may help you to review as well.

Good luck in your search

The coreg and clonidine just made me so cranky, i couldn't live with myself.

I know they have helped others though. I know you are scared, but you won't know unless you try it. I started on 1/2 of the lowest dose of coreg and the same with clonidine. i noticed pretty quickly I wasn't going to do well with them. they didn't make me sick, they just affected my mood, gave me mood swings.

It's very hard to know, because everyone just has different reactions. Just don't start on some whopper dose!

And i think we all feel that pain of having to get the info to the docs, not the other way around. Hopefully you at least have one that listens.... ;)

Have been on Coreg 12.5 mg BID since March with no adverse side effects whatsoever. The first few days it was started, my blood pressures were lower but then rebounded and if you read about this drug that is to be expected. Fortunately for me, I was in the hospital when they decided to start me on it and my blood pressure was being monitored closely. My POTS was out of control because my previous BB quie working. Let me know if I can answer any more questions.