Lower Body Negative Pressure?

cardiactec

hi all,

just wondering if anyone had gone throug the lower body negative pressure test? it is where they use a tank like object, put a skirt thing over you and attach you to the tank, then suck with a vaccum piece as much air as they can, causing a lot of pressure from your mid section down.........

i just had this test yesterday and the results showed the same BP and TACHY response as when they did a passive tilt on me........i couldnt believe it. it felt so wierd to still be lying down and have all the symptoms i was having when i am upright! strange!

who has had this and what were the results like for you? also, what do they determine with this test?

I had it done at NIH as part of a study that I volunteered for; it provoked high tachy for me and I had a big surge of catecholamines, then I had tremors for about 20 minutes while my body tried to calm down. Was pretty "challenging" for me to get through, but easier than the heart catherization I had as part of the same study.

Nina

i had a similar response nina.....although more nausea if anything. my rates went crazy and my pressure was sitting around 88/60's.......which is low low for me, i run around 112/60's usually.....

do you know why they do this test? i know it simulates the tilt table test, so why do they do this test as well? they did both the tilt on me (passive) and the LBNP. one after the other. the tilt they wanted me to do for 20 minutes, but i only lasted 15....then 10 minutes after that they put me through the LBNP test. crazy.

i'm just wondering why they would do both if both produce the same effects physiologically/pathologically? does one prove or disprove a theory or pathophysiology better (like does the LBNP test confirm more of a circulatory abnormality?) ..........

Yes, they use it to simulate a TTT, but they can control the pressure on the lower half of your body, so the test is a bit more "controlled" than a standard tilt. I suppose for scientific purposes it keeps comparisons of human repsonses to a constant pressure.

I always have a hard time with a large ANS surge--regardless of the cause. For example, when I was bitten by one of my students a few weeks back, I got the tremors and then ran a fever.

Nina