Metabolic Based Pots

ksibert676

I've never heard that term before. Does your neuro actually know anything about POTS? If so, I would think that he would have indicated what type of POTS, because genetic POTS could be hyperadrenergic, which is the only "subset" that has a gene identified specifically. Otherwise it could be related to Ehlers Danlos, which they could clinically identify for the HEDS type.

But otherwise, it seems like he might need to be more specific as to what he means by metabolic based POTS. I'm not aware of a type of POTS that is categorized as such. There are other types of disorders related to dysautonomia that might involve such function, but I'm not sure to what extent they cause POTS symptoms specifically. For example, the catecholamine related disorders including dopamine metabolism disorder or various other catecholamine deficiencies such as the baroreflex, monoamine oxidase, and all those various things that are still being studied.

Hi Karen,

Could he have been referring to a mitochondrial disorder. There are many different varieties of "mito" disorders and diseases. I know that POTS is a complication of some. Mitochondria work in our cells as a metabolic process... Definately, ask the doc for more information!

All the best-

Julir

Karen

My guess is that he's using metabolic vs genetic as synonymous descriptors for acquired (caught it from a virus or injury, etc.) vs inherited (was born with it). I've heard metabolic and genetic both used in that sense often enough before, though never with POTS. He definitely needs to be clearer however as to his intent. Does he think this distinciton will affect your current treatment?

Stacy

I have just recently been diagnosed with a mitochondrial dysfunction, I think mitochondrial and metabolic diseases are related. I'm still confused by it all as I'm still learning because this is all new to me. My POTS is most likely caused by this although I can't get a dr. to come out and say it.... and they still have no idea which mitochondrial disease I have yet.

Hopefully you will learn more soon.

Good luck!

~Elle

hiya karen -

at first when i saw your post, i hadn't a clue what the doctor was referring to. "metabolic POTS" is not a phrase i've ever heard. and yet i know you're seeing a doc who knows his stuff.

as others then mentioned the mito connection i was skeptical only because i know that the same neuro has actually used the phrase mito disease in speaking with me...so why would he use a different name? as you may be able to tell, i'm pretty much thinking out loud as i'm writing here :lol: when i was looking up a link though for another post i noticed that the mito description i was in fact reading was referring to metobolic disorders. so perhaps it's related but not considered an actual mito disease? obviously i don't know for certain but i'd definitely quiz the doc more about it. you've got me incredibly curious so don't forget to report back with the answer!

;) melissa

• 1 month later...
  • 10 years later...
On 10/24/2006 at 6:23 PM, juliegee said:

Hi Karen,

Could he have been referring to a mitochondrial disorder. There are many different varieties of "mito" disorders and diseases. I know that POTS is a complication of some. Mitochondria work in our cells as a metabolic process... Definately, ask the doc for more information!

All the best-

Julir

Yep, you are correct referring to mitochondrial disorder.  
Thanks