Dr Just Gave Me Nexium

jkapache

I've been on Prilosec since the late 1980's, and then on Nexium for 2x a day for probably 10 years now? No side effects for me--and the benefits of not having bad reflux at night help me sleep. Also, you should know that having a constantly inflamed esophagus and stomach increase risk of cancers of those areas--so some type of treatment is usually warranted; some folks do okay with just dietary changes, but other may require medication.

If you choose not to take the medication, please do consult with your doctor about what type of treatment alternatives you've got.

Nina

I am one of those people that needs medicine daily for GERD. I've noticed that prilosec 40 mg 1X/day (a very large dose, which is a prescription), makes my already "spastic" colon MORE spastic, i.e. more irritable bowel symptoms.

The nexium 40 mg 2X/day makes me REALLY tired, like I don't want to do anything at all. So, if I can, I TRY to take only one a day unless the heartburn is really bothering me, then I'll take the second pill --- but I really need the two/day.

If I am taking the 2 nexiums a day, I can count on the fact that I'll be laying around and not doing much at all after 3 - 4 PM. But, like I said, I really need it or else the HB is so bad I don't sleep.

Maybe you'll be one of those people that has no side effects. I hope so.

I had a bad reactio to it. After 3 to 4 hours I could not stand up with out getting really potsy and I had a hard time breathing and I felt my thorat was tight and it was hard to swallow. I was shakey and light headed etc.......But hey i have allot of sensitivities.

I hope it works for you. I take prilosec 2 x daily and also zantac 2 times daily and eat rolaids too.

Have a good night

corina

As you can see, people have many different reactions to this medication. I used to be on Prilosec and then Nexium, but switched to Famotidone - a prescription version of Pepcid.

Just keep in mind that Prilosec and Nexium are not antacids. These medications work on your central nervous system and in effect tell your brain not to pump acid into your stomach, which is why some people with autonomic problems can have trouble with them. Famotidone also effects the nervous system, but it works to break down acid in the stomach and doesn't seem to overload my already delicate nervous system.

Just my experience. The comments about keeping an eye on your esophagus for cancer are valid. I'm surprised your doctor didn't take a biopsy while he/she was there. I had the same thing and a biopsy showed I had a very mild case of Barrett's Esophagus, which means the cells lining my throat have changed "form" and can be considered pre-cancerous. This means I need to be monitored closely, which is a good thing in my opinion.

I hope you get relief and find some answers.