Throwing Up At Night

Guest CyberPixie

Guest CyberPixie

I'd been asleep about an hour and a half when I woke at 1am last night choking, I immediately sat up and threw up all over myself and the bed. Now I don't know if it was because I was choking and it made me sick(I get tons of choking fits now coz of POTS) or I was choking because I was being sick and it caught my throat.

Even worse was when I saw bits of what I'd had for lunch 12hrs before!!! So I'm guessing I have the slow emptying thing.

It's happened before in my sleep but then I knew for sure it was because of choking. Coz I have so many choking fits now, I end up heaving and or throwing up, my gag reflex is so poor now. I used to be the type of person who would hardly ever throw up. This is a fear of mine that the POTS is going to cause me to throw up a lot from now on.

My IBS hasn't been good this week, due to stress anyway and yesterday I didn't feel that hungry. I had fish and chips as a treat for tea yesterday, now know thats a bad idea! LOL

I still feel full up and yucky now. Just wish I knew why I was sick last night (by the way 'sick' means vomiting here!) it all happened so fast. I just woke up choking, sat up and was sick all at once.

Feel shattered today as I didn't get back to sleep til 3.30am.

Just wondering if I'm alone with this and just having a vent.

What time did you last eat before you went to bed????

I now find that if I eat after 6 pm at night and go to bed at 9 pm I feel so full and feel sick and sweat more :)

I to gag at times and find that little meals and often are my best bet , as I have no gall-bladder and a lactose intolerance I cant digest fats as such so I stay off the heave stuff.

my bet is that you ate to late and to much and then your poor old tun couldnt digest it , it sat there and then what with the heat ........................mmmmmmmm not nice :)

I hate it when I get a 'sicky day' , hope you feel better soon . Willows.

so so sorry to hear of such a horrible night you had. i think nausea and vomiting are by far the worst symptoms anyone could ever have. do you get more naueated at night or doing the day or does it matter? also, is your nausea and/or vomiting always instigated by the choking feeling?

Guest CyberPixie

I can feel nauseous without the choking. But 3 times now I've had it where I've been choking in the night and was sick or heaved. Once I had a choking fit first thing in the morning and for awhile after I kept getting waves of the feeling I would throw up then five minutes later I did.

I always eat porridge at 9.30pm too if I don't, I wake up so starving around 3-4am it feels like my stomach's trying to eat itself.

sorry that you had a rough night. i can definitely empathize as i can hardly eat at all these days without getting sick (throwing up) as my tummy has pretty much decided to go into hibernation. it's a small victory for me to make it through the day without anything coming up in the wrong direction and that's eating little to nothing (i'm on IV nutrition).

have you ever had a gastric emptying study? i ask b/c if you could actually see food that you'd eaten twelve hours earlier that is not the norm. while there aren't any magic treatment options for gastroparesis, there are several meds that can help some, as well as directives for certain foods to eat/not eat (generally low fat, low fiber but there are more detailed guidelines available). this can also cause choking/gagging b/c if food is sitting in your stomach it can invite reflux, which can then manifest itself as such.

hope you're feeling at least a bit better today...

:) melissa

Guest CyberPixie

I take metoclopramide which increases stomach emptying and helps nausea but still getting it.

Still feeling full and not hungry at all, still getting waves of nausea and some vague pains across my stomach. The only other thing I can think of is that I have a virus but isn't showing itself properly but I don't think it is. Just the POTS/IBS/Stress thing I think.

Weirdly, my usual POTS symptoms have disappeared last few days, normal heart rate, normal breathing, no chest heaviness. Just a little of the heavy legs gravity pulling thing. Not much lightheadedness etc. But I'm not complaining! Nice to have a break from it for a little while.

One good thing about not being hungry, I'll lose some weight! Got plenty to grab hold of I'd like to get rid of! :)

it could be viral. gastritis which occurs with stomach flu can also cause food to sit in your stomach for long periods of time because the GI tract and stomach lining in inflammed from the virus.....how do you feel today? do you still feel like vomiting/are vomiting? if it was a virus, i dont know if it would go away that quickly. it is so hard sometimes to tell whether or not you are "sick" on top of the general "sickness" that you are daily plagued with from auto dys.....

Guest CyberPixie

I don't feel particularly ill so don't think it's anything viral. Just one of those things I guess.

Still not bothered about eating much and tired from lack of sleep but that's about all.

I have had several episodes of vomiting during the night. I wonder why it is during the night? I also wake up feeling very nauseated quite often when I felt fine before I went to sleep! Hope you are feeling better today.

Best,

Susan

a possibility for the "why it's during the night" question:

IF the vomiting is due to gastroparesis, food/fluids from the day are more likely to be "backed up" during the night from eating/drinking throughout the day. position (laying down) can also increase vomiting/nausea for some, particularly if gastroparesis is the etiology.

hope this helps,

:) melissa