Noise And Light From Mri

I just got back from an open MRI of my knee (torn meniscus) and had such a reaction to the surrounding noise and overhead lights that I had to stare at while having this test done. I should have asked for earplugs and something to cover my eyes but have never had an open MRI so didn't think of asking before the test started. Anyhow, when I got up off the table 1/2 hour later after the test, I have been dizzier than I've been in a long time and chugging water didn't even help. Then I had to get to the bathroom quick because I was in so much distress. The hammering noise and florescent lights everywhere in the office certainly contributed--I wonder if the magnetic forces of the MRI also contributed. I need to spend a few hours lying down to recover. Martha

Guest tearose

Hi Martha, sorry I didn't see this sooner.

It sounds like the noise and lights did stress you so naturally you would send stress chemicals into your body and that would probably contribute to how you feel.

I never had or heard any problems with the magnet of the MRI, unless you had some metal in your body. If you had some kind of tiny surgical clips from years ago for example...but you should call and inquire so you know better for "next time"...in case you need to have another MRI in the future. You don't want to stress next time before you even go!

hope you are feeling better, tearose