Thyroxine Trouble ?

Hi Everyone ,

I'm new here. This is my first message . Its great to have found some fellows POTS sufferes as I know nobody else who has it . I'm 26 years old and I've suffered from POTS as a symptom of CFS (or perhaps a cause.. who knows!) for 5 years now. I have been completely bed bound for all that time . Recently I had tests and found that my thyroid was slightly underactive. I tried 25mg of Eltroxin (thyroxine) but after 3 weeks I became very sick . My palpitations became unbearable and I felt utterly awful. I was told to come off it and have improved since I did . I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with Thyroxine . Is intolerance to it normal in POTS suffers ? Has anyone found any alternative treatment that was useful to them such as Ardour ?

Thanks to anyone who reads this or replies !

And thanks also to Mighty Mouse for the help getting started here :)

Hello,

Welcome!

I don't know anything about Thyroxine or the other meds you mentioned. However, I also had an underactive thyroid. (I was originally overactive with toxic nodules - had radioactive iodine treatment to burn out my thyroid/nodules - thus causing it to be underactive). I now have to take Synthroid for life. I imagine it might be similiar.

Everytime I've had to increase my dose, I've suffered with a lot of palpitations. I was told ahead of time this would be a side effect. Obviously I have to have this medicine so it's something I just have to adjust to. Usually after two weeks, the palpitations go away and it seems like my body adjusts.

I asked my endocrinologist about alternative medications because I hate dealing with the palpitations and feeling so terrible. He understands what a strain it puts on my body when I change my doses so only does it when it is severely needed. He did not recommend alternative meds because he said the potency was not the same and then went on to explain how important it is to have my thyroid regulated - especially with dysautonomia.

Not sure if this helps any, but this was my experience.

Alexia

hi kathy -

i just wanted to say welcome. i'm sorry that you have reason to be here but am glad that you found us. i too am 26 :lol:

i don't have thyroid issues but know some others here do so hopefully they will chime in with some answers. in general many here are sensitive to meds more than the general population though so in that regard you're definitely not alone.

the site has a lot of info & support. i hope you'll find it helpful.

:lol: melissa

Guest tearose

Just wanted to say hello and welcome!

I don't know about thyroxine though. I hope you find some good suggestions here!

best regards, tearose