Summer....( !@#$#%) Any Suggestions?

Hey everyone,

I am gearing up for summer and dreading it all the way. I am getting ready to quit my current janitorial job. It's getting physically taxing on me more and more every day and worse as the temp rises. I'm going to try and slide into a desk job but what else can I do? Last summer was horrible for me! You know how you feel...just like total crap and your legs have lead in them and ....any tips?

Thank you!

B

You should come to Dublin as its always nice and cold here!

I was in Turkey last year for a week in 45 degree heat and i found ice packs fantastic. Simply wrap some ice in cloth and place it on the following points:

The back of the neck

The wrists

Behind your knees.

I found if i did this before i went out in the heat it kept symptoms at bay.

Obviously that was only for a week and the temps in Ireland in the summer would very rarely raise above 20.

Good luck

On of my favorite tricks is to take a dishtowel, place ice cubes along the middle of it lengthwise, then roll the cubes up in the towel, put a rubber band on each end and drape that across my neck. I don't suppose you could do this at work, but it is great when going outside. As you heat up the ice melts and wets your shirt and that cools you off. For me this works better than those cooling neck wraps, which I also have.

I also have a cooling vest with large pockets on the inside that hold icy packs. This keeps down the core temperature of the body. I keep the pack in the fridge and the vest hanging by the back door. I can wear a thin T-shirt next to my body, then the cool vest and then even wear another shirt on top, if I go someplace I don't want my vest to be seen.

You already know to keep a thermos of ice water/tea handy.

I'm new to POTS (or at least newly diagnosed), but living in South Alabama, where we saw 90+ in April, I know heat. Simple stuff can really help a lot- make sure you wear breathable fabrics, keep your hair off your neck, keep drinking cool drinks, stay in the shade when possible. Also, try to stay in well ventilated areas. You might want to get a little personal fan- they make great ones that attach to water bottles so you can mist off. Jump in the pool when you can. One thing- although it might be tempting to dash into a super-cool place or drink a big glass of ice water, it's always best to try to avoid drastic temp. changes. I know it makes me feel like crap when I go from hot to cold too fast. So, if you get too hot, drink a glass of luke-warm water first, then a glass of ice water. Same thing with the shower. Walk slowly into cool buildings, spending a few minutes by the door first to let your body get adjusted.

Good luck!