Muscle Atrophy From Joint Instability?

Here's another post from a newbie :-)

When I first saw a neurologist thinking I had MS in June of last year, he quickly noticed upon examination that I had muscle atrophy centered on the inner portion of my right pectoralis (chest) muscle. I've also developed some mild atrophy of my right bicep muscle.

He suspected a muscle disease, and had an EMG done which came back 100% normal.

I've noticed having read many of your posts and studied your signatures, that joint hypermobility and EDS seem to be common. I DO have right side scapular instability (dr. diagnosed as mild scapular winging), right elbow instability and right hip instability. My right elbow does hyperextend. The strange thing is that I have no joint instability on my left side. I've had head and neck MRI's--normal. Lumbar puncture--normal. Tons of blood tests, most normal.

When I was a kid, a doctor told me that my joints were more like those of a girls--i.e., looser than normal for boys. He also told me that I had mild scoliosis that didn't require treatment.

So I'm wondering, despite regular careful weight training, high protein diet, etc.--has the instability of my right side joints caused the atrophy in these areas and is this consistent with other members' experience?

Or, is POTS and or some other type of autonomic disorder the cause of this atrophy?

Finally, could I have EDS? Based on what I've read, I don't think I have this since I don't bruise easily and I can't bend my fingers back past 90 degrees, etc. Are there any self tests I can do to rule in or out EDS? I have two small children and I'm concerned about the genetic aspect of this disease.

If you have hypermobile joints, it's worth checking into EDS/JHS (Joint Hypermobility Syndrome.)

http://www.ednf.org/abouteds/content/view/12/30/ Is a place to go to start to investigate EDS/JHS, of which there are several types. Hypermobility type (formerly Type III) is associated with hypermobile joints and less severe bruising. This type is associated with joint pain and normal X-rays, and is the most common type.

EDS/JHS is a collagen disorder, and no amount of high protein improves the structure of the muscles/ligaments in this case. Certain types of stretching and exercise is contraindicated with EDS, and certain types of exercise can improve joint stability.

Geneticists and Rheumatologists deal with EDS, it's good to find someone that is knowledgeable.

This message board http://www.ehlers-danlos.org/messageboard/ can give you a good idea of what EDS/JHS is like in every day life, and you can see if you match the symptoms. I hope you find answers to your questions.

Guest CyberPixie

There is also something similar called Marfans syndrome you may want to look up.

You dont have to have all the symptoms to be diagnosed with EDS and there are several different types. For EDS 3 they normally use the beighton score. All the others can be diagnosed by a skin biopsy I believe.

Hi. Whether or not you have EDS, when joints are hypermobile the muscles cannot anchor as well during their work. Therefore, they tend not to build up as easily. Sometimes, a smart exercise therapist can develop work-arounds in specific cases (like substituting muscle strength for a torn ligament) by creating an exercise position to max muscle work and minimize joint movement.

But be sure about what you are dealing with to be safe, I think.

Good luck in getting a diagnosis.

OLL

I have EDS III aka hypermobility type. I've never had any problems with weakness and/or wasting of muscles due to EDS. Rather, i've had that from being braced in such a way as to restrict motion--such as with my neck brace after surgery, or my ankle "air cast" brace.

Folks with EDS are more likely to have an abnormal EMG because of all the joint mobility in the spine, and resultant impingement of the spinal nerves/nerve roots. My emg's have been abnormal for the past 6 years.

Nina