Migranes.

Does any one have this...when I lay on my back my head and neck hurt, even just the slightest touch can set it off. I get migranes if I lay on my back. My head seems like its to heavy or some thing and causes pain. If I touch the back of my head and neck it hurts. I also now having it affect me on the side of my neck. I cant seem to lay down with out it affecting it. I have to sit in my recliner and sleep or I have such a bad migrane. Its really odd. My neck is weak at times also. I am not sure what this is all about. I am wondering if its a pots thing, or possibly MS. They are looking into MS at this time. I just started with these migranes like this so i will mention them to my doctor. Any one else sensative this way?

Thanks,

Brenda

Hi Brenda,

I get migranes almost everyday, as for the neck pain, yes I get that too. My head feels so heavy and it's hard to keep it up. I don't ever lie on my back unless I have to. All my life I've been this way. I get dizzy and feel just awful. I've never had to sleep in a chair though because of the pain. That has to be a pain for you. :) I don't know if I have got a migraine from being on my back? I just know that it gives my head a pressure feeling and it's very uncomfortable.

Do you only get migraines if you lay down? Have you tried sleeping on your stomach?

Good luck,

Amber

Have you investigated Chiari 1 Malformation? In reading through this site and following up on the various disorders associated with POTS, that one has overlaps with migraine. Apparently, from the reading I?ve done, this condition is more common than is diagnosed and is also associated with FMS and CFS. (So many variables!!!)

? . . . symptoms of Chiari or spinal cord compression may include:

? Headache in the back of the head that may radiate behind the eyes and into the neck and shoulders.

? Disordered eye movements, vision changes.

? Dizziness, autonomic symptoms (orthostatic intolerance, NMH).

? Muscle weakness.

? Cold, numbness and tingling in the extremities.

? Chronic fatigue.

? Symptoms are exacerbated by exertion, and especially by leaning the head backward or coughing.?

I only listed some of the sx, if you want the rest: http://www.cfids.org/archives/1999/1999-3-article03.asp

It?s interesting that it said that any prolonged hyperextention of the neck (dental work, whiplash, painting a ceiling, a severe, prolonged cough) will aggravate sx, as this position narrows the spinal canal. Anyone who has sx with looking up or with their arms over their head, might want to look into this.

Here is a list of things reported to ease sx, since the only real treatment is serious surgery.

http://www.pressenter.com/~wacma/bhm-list.htm

Guest sonotech

I also have those same problems with neck pain and migraines.

I have cervical spine disc herniations and spondylosis which cause my neck pain and headaches. Have you ever been in an accident?

I know the pain you are going through, it makes sleeping miserable, and when you wake up in the morning on you back from rolling over in your sleep then it can hurt for DAYS!!

You really need to get that chedked out!

Hope you get some answers, LAURA

Hi Be Still,

I have everyone of those symptoms, I have had an MRI and a CT scan, both came back normal?

Very wierd....the doctors thought I had Chiari 1 Malformation, but guess not.

I'll look at the website you gave though. Thanks,

Amber

Thanks for your replies. Thanks be still for the sites on Chiari, I will look it up. I have had others mention Chiari before but no doctors have said any thing about it. Is this diagnosed through a Nurologist or what type of doctor? I am at Mayo Clinic so I have to know the doctor who specializes in it or I wont get any where. Thanks so much! Sad to see others have this type of symptoms as well. Oh I also have had spinal pain for 6 years, hurts on my tail bone when I sit down, no answers on that either. weird!

Brenda

O forgot to answer the accident question. I was in an accident when I was 16, I did get whip lash, also have had 2 other fender benders since then. Other wise nothing serious. As for laying on my tummy, well i would rock like a rocking horse, ha, unfortunatly I have gained 68lbs. since being sick, so my tummy is out of the question, ha. Oh I also get pain in my tummy if I lay on it, I am told its due to my intestinal flares, who knows. Thanks for the help!

Brenda