Jump to content

Question On Doctor's

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

The Doctor's list didn't provide one in my area and I can't travel?

How can you find a doctor who is familiar with POTS and will take you even if you haven't been dx?

My Cardio, heard of POTS, but hasn't delt with a patient with it before.

He sent me to a Nero Cardio who seemed to know more about it, but didn't seem interested in getting a true dx. He put me on a different med and sent me home.

I'm trying to figure out where I should begin?

I don't want to be written a perscription and sent home without answers.

How do I get a dx if they just put me on meds????

The Cardio told me that he didn't know what to do, but wanted me to stay on meds to control the high heart rate.

Anyone have the answers? :)

Sometimes I feel that I can rely on you guys more then the doctors.


Link to comment
Share on other sites


Most likely you will find that it's going to be difficult at best to find a local Dr who understands POTS. Even the ones that do often do not understand the impact it has on their patients nor do they really understand much about how to try to manage the disorder.

I say this not to discourage you but to try to prepare you so that you will be armed and ready to fight for yourself.

Look around for an electrophysiologist in your area. This is a specialist within the cardiology field. You may want to call around some local cardiology offices in your area and ask if they have an EP specialist and then ask if they are familiar with diagnosing POTS or neurocardiogenic syncope.

The most important thing is that you will need a Dr that will be respectful to you and one who won't be afraid or have their ego hurt if you take charge of your care. Do your research, print articles from the internet and ask them to look into it. If they are not willing to do that then find another Dr.

Good luck to you! Keep us posted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you are looking for doctors, when you call their office, ask the receptionist if Dr. so-and-so treats people with Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia. If not, does HE/SHE know of anyone in the area?

You can save yourself time if you ask ahead of time.

Once you've found the doctor who is aware of this condition, realize they cannot cure. They can only hope to make you more functional. Hopefully, you'll recover as time goes on. It's hard to tell where you are going with your malady - whether you'll get better or not.

The medical community really needs more knowledge about us POTsy folks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I'm thinking I'm going to have alot of work to do! B)

I ment EP Cardio when I said Nero.....sorry

I think the Cardio I was seeing may be ok with working "together". But then again, maybe not?

He sent me to the ep doctor and I didn't care for him.........mostly because his english was very hard to understand and he was getting irratated with me because I had him repeat himself over and over again.

Now that I have a computer I can do more research, so hopefully I'll come a little closer to the answers.

Thanks again,


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...