Urination - Various Problems

Hello!

Since my POTS diagnosis I have experienced frequent urination. I've gotten pretty used to this (even though it's annoying) Recently though I've been experiencing a delay before I begin to urinate (like a 20 second pause).

I don't have any pain. I do have some pressure -- it feels like my bladder has some heavy bricks laying on it (that's the best way I could think to describe this).

I saw my PCP dr. last week and I had a urinalysis done just to make sure I didn't have any infections - everything came back normal. My dr. has mentioned the possibiliy of seeing a urologist. What would a urologist do? Have any of you seen one??

Any input is much appreciated. I'm wondering if others have experienced any of these symptoms and if you've seen a dr. concerning them

Our autonomic system sure does control so many parts of our bodies!

Lisa

Guest CyberPixie

Before my POTs got bad when I'd wake in the morning and occasionaly other times of the day I'd feel like I was bursting to go but couldn't. Would take up to an hour before things started to flow.

Now I'm the opposite, at my worst I was going every 2mins literally. Since being on fludrocortisone it's better but if I'm having a very POTSY day it can increase again.

Pretty sure a urologist just deals in kidneys and bladder and also with men's bits.

I would encourage you to see the urologist. My husband had both bowel and bladder incontinence as part of pre-syncope spells and the neurologist was able to prescribe a medication that has worked wonderfully. Prior to the appointment, they sent a detailed questionaire and even though his symptoms were not at all typical of those listed the Dr. was still able to help. He was diagnosed with Neurogenic Bladder and the medication has also helped with the bowel as well.

I agree with asking pharmacist about possible drug interactions. If that doesn't turn up anything though a urologist is a good idea. It's been a long time since I went to one but they did some type of scan where they inject a dye into the bladder and then take xray to see how your bladder is functioning. It wasn't painful and they ruled out anything serious.

In my case it appears my bladder problems are "simply" autonomic related. I self cath when I need to and on days where I go frequently I just put up with it because for me, I switch between extremes so medication hasn't been helpful.

Thanks for all of your advice so far! I will continue to talk with my dr. about the symptoms.

Poohbear - how do they inject you bladder with a die? (that doesn't sound very pleasant!)

Lisa

Guest Mary from OH

Lisa,

I would very much recommend seeing a urologist. They are the experts in the field. They will probably have you first fill out a lot of paperwork and then have you do simple tests, like an abdominal ultrasound. Then you may progress on to a cystoscopy where they fill your bladder with saline and use a scope to look at the inside of your bladder. (it depends on your symptoms). You may also need to have urodynamic studies. Those are more "invasive". but are not painful and not too bad. Just a lot of catheters and such. Feel free to ask me questions. I just went through all this and also was diagnosed with neurogenic bladder, mixed ... something... I have both conditions where I have GREAT trouble voiding as well as times where I urinate frequently, even at night.

Good luck and it's worth talking with a urologist and getting "worked up" to see what solutions may be helpful for you.

:):)

I have to acho the others on seeing a urologist.

I have had bladder problems for years now, and I finally found out that it is being caused by the Lyme bacteria in my urinary tract.... But I had to go to a urologist to figure it out....

They are experts in that filed and can run lots of tests....

feel Better... Bladder issues are aweful :)

i get this often too, some days i am sure i am going to have an accident, just cannot hold the urine, even if its only little amount, and other days, can hold it fine, and also have hard time completely emptying bladder, it really varies day to day, and how much i pee also varies greatly, someone mentioned a med that helped, could you please tell what the name of the med is? thanks

radha

My husband takes Detrol LA (extended release) BUT that was prescribed by a urologist after an exam and review of all of his symptoms. Detrol is a "smooth muscle antispasmotic" and the Dr. felt that it might help buy him some time (15-20 minutes) before his body decided to "flush" everything from his system. His diagnosis is neurogenic bladder and his problem occurs when he is feeling pre-syncope. Basically his body will immediately flush out whatever it has (sweat, urine, etc) when he has an episode. It has been very effective and does give him time to "get somewhere" and avoid an accident. His main side effedt is dry mouth. He has been on it for about 8 months.

I know there are different medications for the different types of bladder problems and other non-medication treatments available so you really need to see a urologist for the correct treatment for your situation.