Beta blockers and summer heat?

Patricia

Hi everyone,

I am someone that literally cannot go outside in the summer..... I get severely symptomatic and am unable to take a breath in when it is > 80 degrees and humid. I was wondering if anyone had ever heard that being on a beta blocker, I am on Inderal, could make us "pool" blood more in the heat?

Patricia

I live in Arizona, very very hot. I too have problems with heat.

I was on the beta blocker Topral XL, and I think it said something about avoiding direct sunlight.

I'll look yours up and let you know what it says.

Amber

Hi Amber,

Thank you so much. Are your problems with heat severe too? I am in Virginia and when it gets really warm, I am too nervous too even go in a car with air conditioning as sometimes that is not enough to get the car as cool as I need it. I hate living in such fear and want to enjoy the warm sunshine ( at some level ) that we look forward to all winter here.

Patricia

hi patricia -

while people certain respond in all different ways to beta blockers i have never heard or read of them causing more pooling and do not see how this would be the case. i cannot imagine that my docs would have me on one if it were the case as i have major issues with pooling.

i too have major problems with the heat which is complicated by the fact that i cannot tolerate my compression hose when temps are warmer. i know for me i've been told that i really do have to be careful about heat exhaustion/stroke as my body cannot cool itself properly (i don't sweat enough).

hope this helps,

B) melissa

I'm in Virginia too, and have been on beta blockers for nearly 3 years now. While they are supposed to lower BP as well, and that probably makes us more lethargic, I think it's the heat itself that will dilate blood vessels more.

Depending on where your blood pools, if you find it hard to tolerate the compression hose, (when it's SO hot outside!!) maybe the socks would help.. They're knee high or so, and might help if your blood pools in your calves and/or heat.

Good luck to you!

I've noticed If I keep water with me I can enjoy being outside more.

My family spends alot of time outside, and the last three years have been hard. My winters are a little better, but it can still reach high temp. more offten then not. If I know I'm going to be outside, I make sure I drink more water before I even go outside.

Some days it doesn't matter what I do, it's just too hot. I have thought about moving to a cooler part of Arizona but I've lived here my whole life and I'm not ready to yet.

I couldn't find the info I wanted, but after thinking about it I think my meds. said to stay out of direct sun because you had more of a chance of sunburn.

Could have been another med. I was on though. I've been on so many, that I get them mixed up.

Maybe it's just been hotter then usual or more humid. I don't have much humidity here so not sure what that would do for the symptoms. To live here, it's like opening up the oven door everytime you step outside.

Amber

Well, I don't know about pooling, but beta blockers are one of the primary pharmaceutical causes of orthostatic intolerance. I had high BP episodes with my tachy until I started the beta blocker. Now I get low BP with pounding. Rather have the latter than the former, but I am trying to gradually reduce the dose of beta blocker and see if I can get myself in the middle.

Is that all you are taking?

OLL

Hi, Patricia,

I have the very same problem every summer. I have to take at least 4 cool to cold rinse-off's in the shower/day in the summer. Cannot tolerate heat AT ALL. The heat dilates my blood vessels and I can't "counter" quickly enough. Easiest way to remain upright is a quick cool rinse, A/C & LOT of fans. The reverse happens in the winter. I can't get warm and have to take quick warm to very warm showers and crawl immediately under electric blanket. Being hydrated helps in both situations, but I'm overly prone to dehydration, which we still haven't quite figured out why yet. (I blame POTS :D )

I think the temperature regulation is in all likelihood really more a dysautonomic issue than with the meds. Do you have any breathing difficulties? Asthma would make breathing in hot, humid weather difficult.

Good luck!

Peace & light,

Lulu

Hi Lulu and OLL,

I am on Inderal and Ativan for "adrenalin." I am trying to get on Mestinon right now. I did not tolerate Florinef or Midodrine. The question of asthma was raised, but what I describe to the doctors they say is not asthma. I know this is not medically correct, but what it FEELS like is that my lungs also dilate and do not constrict to let me take a breath in at all. There is no wheezing..... and it can happen immediately when I step outside especially into a humid, hot day when the air is so thick. I feel I am suffocating within a couple of minutes and run back into the air conditioned house to breathe. This is the only time of year I have this problem. Pooh. But thanks so much for your suggestions.

Patricia