Leg Weakness

arh0006

I was recently diagnosed with NCS in November of 2005 at the Mayo Clinic in Arizona. I often have blackouts, as many as ten or more a day during a bad week. Yet, sometimes during these "bad" weeks my arms and legs become extremely weak, especially my legs, to the point to were it becomes very difficult to walk. The weakness usually lasts about a week or so and then I slowly regain my strength. My question is do any of you experience this and if so is there any way to speed your recovery, or external factors I should be avoiding that sets this chain of events, or what I refer to now as a crash in motion? It seems as though a couple days before my legs turn to jello I begin to lose my balance and walk like I am drunk. I have tried to use a cane during these times but it seems like all the cane does is trip me up even further while not providing me with enough support to walk. I have recently thought about using a wheelchair but find they are insanely expensive and I have no idea what would be the best type to use.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice you may have.

Welcome to the forum but so sorry you have to be a part of this world. Many of us have the leg weakness you describe when symptomatic. Your term "crash in motion" is unfortunately, quite accurate. What meds are you on and what has helped? Florinef can really help with blackouts as can increased fluid and salt intake. I, personally require daily infusion treatments to keep me from "walking like a drunk" among other things. So, yes, your sx is very typical of those with dysautonomia. Take care and make sure you stay out of harm's way with the amount of blackouts you are having. Havr you alerted your physician to the frequency of blackouts you are having now?

Carmen

My daughter used to complain of leg and arm weakness all the time. Her limbs felt so weak and so heavy she could barely lift them. Once she started on florinef and increased her salt and fluid intake, it helped immensely. Midodrine also helped with this symptom. As a matter of fact, I can't remember the last time she complained of this symptom.... the meds must be doing the trick!!!

I experience alot of leg weakness also. I am beginning to exercise to build up the strength in my legs to help combat the weakness. Like the others have mentioned, increasing salt and fluid intake can't hurt.

If it continues to persist, check with you pcp and see if there isn't a med you can take to help relieve your fatigue! Best of luck :)

Nicole