Pooling in abdomen -- does exercise help?

kmpower

Hi everyone,

I know a lot of you cannot tolerate exercise, so maybe this isn't a good question. But because eating always makes my heart rate go up, sometimes way up, I guess I have splanchnic pooling.

I have never exercised much, but I probably could tolerate it. I do better moving rather than being still. Have any of you done abdominal exercises to help post-prandial tachy? Or do you wear abdominal binders like the literature suggests? I know smaller meals helps.

Thanks.

LL

Guest tearose

Hi LL,

I do wear compression hose when I am able to manage exercise. About 6 months ago, I did try two weeks of abdominal compression vs. two weeks without abdominal compression....I personally do better without ONLY during exercise. For me, during exercise, I have to drink fluids and I have to stop to empty my bladder. It was too much movement and wear and tear on me to do the abdomen.

I do however, take a shower afterwards and THEN put on fresh compression from the toes up to ribs.

I have been using abdominal compression for several years and I think this is one garment that I constantly have to adjust. Meaning, there are times I just can bind my stomach..for whatever reason, it is not something I use absolutely every waking hour of every day as compared to my compression hose which I can say...I NEED to use them every day.

If you try abdominal compression let us know how you do!

tearose

Thanks, tearose

What number hose do you wear? In Calif. we need a prescription for over 20, but I know Dr. Grubb says it has to be at least 30. The lady at the nearest med supply says the choices are 20-30 or 30-40, assuming I can get a prescription. Maybe at the Internet site I read about here, no prescription is needed.

Yes, I am going to try exercise. It is easy enough to know if it helps or aggravates.

LL

I have tried many kinds of compression panty hose and they all give me a stomach ache! I have been in a restaurant and my husband has ordered me into the restroom to remove them because he knows I can't eat with them on. I am a big fan of knee high thick athletic compression socks I got onlineand they hold up in the wash. I can't bear to have anything constrict around my waist. I have tried abdominal exercises using a large rubber ball (using a videotape called "Total Body Ball" by Bollinger). Using a ball, the exercises don't strain my back and I believe the tightening up helps somewhat. This tape also has exercises to tighten up your butt and thighs using a large rubber ball. It is the easiest kind of exercise I have tried and doesn't set off the OI too much. A good part of the tape has you fairly horizontal--good for us! Martha

Guest tearose

The stronger compression is the 30-40mm. Also, make sure you consult with someone prior to your purchase. There should ba a person who has been trained in compression garments and hose to measure you. This will make a big difference! When you are fitted correctly, the pressure is greater in the feet (close to 40mm and gradually the pressure will decrease up your leg and into your pelvic area. This help won't be needed for subsequent purchases but I think until you get use to buying what you need you should ask for help!

The only time I personally get a tight feeling in my stomach is when I'm in the additional compression that goes up to my bra. I don't have any discomfort in the pantyhose alone! In fact, I manage better with the thigh-stomach type girdle under my compression hose. But I have serious splanchnic pooling and so I feel I need the additional compression.

You are going to see once you play around with things over a couple of weeks.

Too bad there isn't a way to rent various compression garments and try before you buy!

take care, tearose