Service and Companion Animals

UnicornIsis

Okay y'all I need some help with this one...

There are all kinds of working animals. Most are Law enforcement dogs and service dogs for people wtih physical and mental disabilities.

But I also know there are companion and comfort animals, not just dogs. I think Mandy' Shadow is one of these.

I need help with two things. The first is how to get my oldest cat who got me through the worst part of being sick, how to get her certified is a comfort or companion animal.

Also, my husband wants an English Mastiff. He had several when he was little and really wants one. And he's looking at getting one now, instead of later to help me. Sort of to be with me when I have to be alone and to help me when we go out. And maybe that way I'll be able to go out on my own or even with friends so the friedns won't be so uncomfortable.

Does anyone know of people or how to find out about this, how to certify animal that you choose. Not get animal that someone else has chosen and already trained. I don't qualify for most of those and the ones that I do, they're more expensive because they require you to pay for the animal and the training yourself which usually runs several thousand dollars for the ones I found that I would qualify for.

Does anybody know where to look for this who to contact? I've serached google and haven't found much. Then I found out you can train your own or an animal you choose with an organization. They're called "owner-Trained" service animals.

I suggested the idea to my husband last night. He was less than enthuiastic to say the least. He didn't see the point to getting the dog trained as a service animal. He asked me what the dog could actually do for me. So today I spent time looking up exactly what they do. I'm not sure now if they would actually be any help. I don't use a wheelchair and I don't actually have seizures. My muscles lock up and I don't have control over them. Most of the time when it happens I can't talk and I don't have control over the muscles that aren't locked up, so someone has to be looking directly at me to see there's a problem, I can't let them know. He also said that the dog wouldn't do any good for when I'm home by myself, because the dog can't go get anyone when I'm alone in the apartment.

I'm wondering if there's anyone I can talk to to see if an assistance dog would actually be able to help me.

Does anybody here have working animals?

Thanks, UnicornIsis

Okay y'all I need some help with this one...

There are all kinds of working animals. Most are Law enforcement dogs and service dogs for people wtih physical and mental disabilities.

But I also know there are companion and comfort animals, not just dogs. I think Mandy' Shadow is one of these.

I need help with two things. The first is how to get my oldest cat who got me through the worst part of being sick, how to get her certified is a comfort or companion animal.

Also, my husband wants an English Mastiff. He had several when he was little and really wants one. And he's looking at getting one now, instead of later to help me. Sort of to be with me when I have to be alone and to help me when we go out. And maybe that way I'll be able to go out on my own or even with friends so the friedns won't be so uncomfortable.

Does anyone know of people or how to find out about this, how to certify animal that you choose. Not get animal that someone else has chosen and already trained. I don't qualify for most of those and the ones that I do, they're more expensive because they require you to pay for the animal and the training yourself which usually runs several thousand dollars for the ones I found that I would qualify for.

Does anybody know where to look for this who to contact? I've serached google and haven't found much. Then I found out you can train your own or an animal you choose with an organization. They're called "owner-Trained" service animals.

I suggested the idea to my husband last night. He was less than enthuiastic to say the least. He didn't see the point to getting the dog trained as a service animal. He asked me what the dog could actually do for me. So today I spent time looking up exactly what they do. I'm not sure now if they would actually be any help. I don't use a wheelchair and I don't actually have seizures. My muscles lock up and I don't have control over them. Most of the time when it happens I can't talk and I don't have control over the muscles that aren't locked up, so someone has to be looking directly at me to see there's a problem, I can't let them know. He also said that the dog wouldn't do any good for when I'm home by myself, because the dog can't go get anyone when I'm alone in the apartment.

I'm wondering if there's anyone I can talk to to see if an assistance dog would actually be able to help me.

Does anybody here have working animals?

Thanks, UnicornIsis

I don't know where you can get animals certified, but there is a place called Leader Dogs for the Blind in Rochester Hills, MI. They might be able to give you info about how to get an animal certified or what all a service animal can provide. I am not sure of the number but you can probably find it on Google or call Information for the 248 area code. Good luck! They also have miniature horses being used as service animals now. I just saw one being used not long ago and they are so cute...probably about the same size as a mastiff too! :D

I have just enrolled my 5 lb pappillion in "school" hopefully for service dog to me. The trainer offers it after it has completed other classes. I would contact the humane society. I have read where epileptics who have service dogs can actually be warned ahead of time (by a minute or two) because the dog senses the "storm" first. I think it would be a great idea. maybe your husband just needs more info.:-)

Thanks. I'll go there and look it up tonight!

Also that's great that you're enrolling your dog. Will you let me know how he/she does? My mom's old boss owned Astra Kennel, she bred and showed pappillions. She's Jean Keating of Astra Kennel. My brother and I each grew up with two of the dogs. All 4 are gone now I'm pretty sure. I just looked her up and she's the author of 3 books now.

Anyway,

I hope the training goes well with your dog.

Thanks, UnicornIsis

How cool you had papillions. First for me, but the dog picked me. I like her because she is easy going and small enough to move easily. When I have a bad day she lays next to me in bed and doesn't get up unless I do. I really don't know what I'd do with out her. She understands I don't feel good even if the humans dont'!:-)

Hey Megan, long time since i have talked to you but if you ever want to chat just PM, since i have a new AIM name. :)

Anywho, i bought this up a month or so ago, yes a service dog would help, not only if you couldn't communicate (your papers would be in his jacket), but it would give you freedom. I know for me my dog who hates people sticks by my side if i feel horrible, and like last night i dropped something he came running over since he thought i fell. :) As far as the cat i am not really sure, but i think any animal can be a service animal, within reason.

Good luck,

susie

Hey Susie, long time no talk!!!

How ya doin? How are the goaties? Is the dog you're talking about Bo? I think that's his name, black and white and lives on the farm with you? Well, duh, if he's your dog, he lives on the farm with you.

Do you still have your website up? I'd love to see pictures of the goaties again.

Did you have your dog trained in anything and does he/she go out in public with you? What does he do for you? Sorry, you've probably answered most of this already, I'm just trying to think of all the questions I have at once. Also, are you allowed to go somewhere on your own? According to Dr. Abdallah and my parents and husband, I'm not. I was hoping that with the dog, I would be able to. What do your parents think of the dog?

Sorry for the 20 questions!

UnicornIsis