Excersise induced symptoms

pamela

This is new for me. I have started to increase my excersising since the holidays. I started out slow by walking a little more everyday (1/4 mile then to 1 mile ) Now I do a 1mile walk three times a week. Two weeks ago I added 10 min increased to 25min of stationary bike. This past Saturday I went to the gym and did fine except I was Tachy early in the workout then I started skipping heartbeats. After the workout I was light headed and my head really hurt. I drank water and stuff really well all day. My BP/heartrate machine would not register my Bp and I had problems getting my heartrate down below 110 for about eight hours. Sunday my pressure was up to 90/60 (nevver got up to the 100's) and my pulse wass down to the ninetys as long as I did not get up. Neurologically I haad some numbness in the feet and hands, my coordination was off and was light headed for 24-36 hours. Today I felt better and workedout on my Giselle machine which requriress me to stand and swing my legs back and forth. My heartrate was not to high (I kept it down below 145). Now 2 hours later I am still tachy and my BP is low and all the neuro symptoms are back (as my tyyping will attest to tthe faact). Is there any one with the same problems and what has your doc said. Mp primary doc will not see me for dysautonomia problems and has me going to a caardio doc. Getting an appt there w/o a medical emergency is very difficult. Meanwhile I have to get to moving to drop my post baby fat and holiday weight. No fare that I didn't even eat to much and still gained weight.

Glad to hear you're feeling ready to be up and about! Nice way to start the new year, huh?! :)

My only suggestion is to cut the exercise back to what you were able to handle without symptom flare-ups, at least until you can get into the cardio doc and discuss your trouble. Better to do some consistantly than try for too much and trigger a backslide into the POTShole. Are there particular exercises that always make you too tachy? Can you just skip those so you can do the rest of your workout without trouble?

Hang in there -- hope you get to see the cardio soon & find some answers!

Angela

Boy your descriptions sounds like something I would write. I do that exactly. Although my last instance of this was becasue I had to hold my pee for 3 minutes.... Of all the lame things to kick of an attack, huh!! My doc has no idea, barely knows what dysatuonomia is...My next meeting w/ the cardio is 03/02 or so... I will ask when I get there for sure.

When I excersize (I do curves (30 sec standing, then 3o seconds sitting) or swimming about (err) twice a week. my pulse will either go from 60bpm to 150 in about 5 minutes or it will hang out at 60 for ever and then after about 20 min or so it will rush up to 150. Either way I feel like crud. headache, lightheaded, trip easily, loose my balance etc. etc. (-;

I dont have the answer but you are not alone.

I second what Eillyre said.

Once you have POTS or NCS, you have to be tuned in to your own body more than usual. If you are feeling lightheaded or the heart is skipping , you're doing too much.

I know how frustrating that can be especially when you're trying to get fit.

Look at it this way: as long as you are able to do something, you are infinitely better off than if you had done nothing. That's my motto anyway. And go easy on yourself. At least you're trying.

I hope you make an appointment with your cardio doctor so you can ease your fears and have a discussion about exercising.

Wish i could help. I have not been able to really do anything without getting sick. Day before yesterday I decided to try to do a little laundry and surprise my husband with a small dinner. Well I paid for it. I was up all night with my heart doing wierd things and the next day, i could barely get out of bed to go to the bathroom. I had tingles all over my body all night and the next day. I felt better today so I cooked my husband dinner. I am not feeling good right now, but I still got dinner cooked. Vanessa

I hate to cut back on the excersise since it takes so much motivation to try any amount. The funny thing is I get that runners high typr feeling eearly and then I know I have over done it. For the most part however, I can regulate the amount of cardiac output and keep it on the low side thanks to the Coreg. The Digitek medicine is suppose to keep me from getting skippy in my pulse. It works pretty good until I started excersising. I will probably have to increase that dosage. The only excersises that do not aggrevate my symptoms to much are the stationary bike and light floor excersises. Lifting weights is a No No, trust me, it was ugly. Now I wear 5lb weights on my legs to help build the muscles up. My appt for Cardio is not until March too. Yet there is a internist here that takes my insurance but is not enrolled in the Tri care prime type of military ins, and he has several patients with our problems and I can't see him either. If my current (baad man) internist would refer me the insurance will pay for the visit but so far he has not sent the referal.

The military does not even acknowledge these conditions yet sso I get a lot of blank stares when I mention autonomic disfunctions etc..

All exercise seems to cause me trouble. Have tried weights, swimming, walking etc. Floor work, very mild and low reps seems about the best. I always lie down afterwards. I am desperate to find something that works. Doctors don't seem to have a clue and give me contradictory advice. I guess as usual you have to work out what is best for your body. I have always enjoyed exercise and it is extremely difficult to scale it down to a livable level, but I think it is essential. You seem to be doing quite a bit. Suggest you go back to a very basic level that doesn't cause trouble, or even less than that so you know you are really safe. Then increase very slowly and maintain that level of increase for longer than you think you need.

Good luck!