General Practitioners

Meliss446

This is kind of a generalized question that I am not sure anyone there really is an easy answer for, but I was wondering how some of you have found good GPs. I have been going to a pediatric group for about 5 years, but I have never been happy with them. In fact if I wanted to, I could probably sue the pants off of 2 of the doctors there and at least one of the nurses if I were more of a litigious person. They messed so many things up, it is pretty sad. Needless to say, I haven't been really happy with their level of competancy or care. I think they are fine for runny noses, but I need more than that. I haven't ever really gone to them unless I have strep or a sinus infection or something, and have been just going to my neurologist and cardiologist. But I am 18 now, so my mom and I are thinking that I could go to an adult GP and it wouldn't be a bad idea to sort of have a central doctor to coordinate my care. The problem is, I just don't want to make a bunch of appointments and try to hunt down a doctor who actually knows something about dysautonomias. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there some sort of way to find the best GPs in certain areas? I am sure there is probably not really an easy way and it has to be a bit of trial and error, but I probably need to have someone to check up on things who actually knows what they are doing. Thanks for any suggestions!

Melissa

Yes, there is the AMA-assn.org....they have a doctor finder feature, different towns, specialties etc. You can search for one with special interest in dysautonomias. Good Luck. You're probably looking for a family doc. Miriam

I tried the site Miriam posted but I didn't have much success....disappointing since I live in a large major city.

The best advice I could give you is ask around in your area. You may want to ask your cardiologist or neurologist if they have a good referral for you; somebody they would be willing to work with to coordinate your care. Research any Dr and check their lisc. and status before going to them.

Also, if there are any local support groups in your area for people with other chronic illnesses you may try to meet them and ask them if they have a good coordinating Dr. they would recommend.

It is so hard to find a good GP in my experience. One of my best avenues though was to find Dr's who work with MS patients. Even though dysautonomia is not the same, I've found Dr's and clinics that specialize in MS are #1 used to wide and varied symptoms in people and #2 the staff is more used to responding to frequent phone calls from more patients and also more used to the added paperwork that sometimes comes with cases like ours.

Good Luck in your search!!!!

The only way that I know of is word of mouth. Some times it works and some times is does not. My Primary Doc was good until she found out she could not really help me, and she knew nothing about my condition. Now it just seems like she cant wait to get out of the room. My Pt level has been too high for several months and she just says that it is high but not extremely high. Well when I went in for surgery, the doctor asked me if my PCP was monitoring my pt levels because they were way too high. I told him she wasnt concerned and he said she needs to be, because I could bleed to death. She was highly recommended to me, so you see even that does not work. My problem here is the only great doctors are not accepting any new patients. So we have to deal with what we have. If you find an answer let me know too. Vanessa

I was doing the trial and error method for years upon years...with mostly "errors". I did happen upon ONE amazing physician's assistant, who served as my beloved pcp for 7 years. He got fed up with the Philly issues revolving around insurance and malpractice coverage--and moved back to West Virginia where he could do more actually family practice again instead of fighting with insurers on the phone.

After his departure, I tried getting suggestions from friend who liked their pcp's. Didn't work either. Instead, I found the one I have now by asking my most fussy doctor for a suggestion of a pcp who would take me seriously--and he sent me to a true gem. Two years now, and she's been great to me--in addition to being credentialed in internal medicine, she's got a second md in endocrinology. That, and she's just a darned nice person. Took me 4 years after my PA left to find her and I'll stick with her until one of us moves or retires!

Nina