How much water do you drink a day

ben_uk

Hi!

I was told by my doctor to add salt to my diet and and drink lots of fluids. But I forgot to ask how much.

I think I am drinking about 1.5 litres a day (maybe a little more).

I keep forgetting to drink throughout the day and know this is not good.

If you could let me know it would be appreciated.

PS - I get results from my tests next week. I will keep you posted, but it is looking like I have POTS as well as low blood pressure. I had an autonomic exercise test and the technician said the observations were consistent with POTS (tilt table did not show up POTS). There was also a blood pressure drop and I need the doctor to interpret these results.

Thanks in advance, and wishing all of you well.

Ben

The recommended amount for healthy people is 8 cups per day, which equates to 2 liters. If you're chronically dehydrated like lots of us, you'll need more. I drink about 4 liters per day, but I'm still always thirsty! Very strange. I haven't been told an amount to aim for by a doctor, either, though.

I carry water bottles with me everywhere, and drink water with meals, snacks, so there's always water in front of me.

Good luck getting some answers!!

Guest CyberPixie

I get through about 10-12 glasses a day. Only used to drink 5 glasses a day before the POTS became bad. Even now on 10-12 I often still feel very thirsty and maybe have an extra couple a day. I find I can't drink a whole glass in one go (poss the slow stomach emptying thing) so I'm constantly sipping throughout the day which probably doesnt help with the frequent urination!

Cyberpixie and others,

You do have to be careful when ingesting lots of fluid that you are NOT "washing out" all your electrolytes.

I'm no expert in this, but obviously, you would need to have some source of sodium, potassium and who knows what else.

You could end up making yourself feel really bad if you ingest the fluids without replenishing electrolytes.

Cyberpixie, you're the expert on that now.

Ben,

It's hard to find this answer I think........b/c you can drink too much water like FutureHope says...but you can drink too little too!!!

Each person on this board seems to have a different amount that works for them...from 2 liters to 4 liters to getting IVs consistently, etc.

I know my POTS doc recommends at least 2 liters per day (so you may just want to try increasing what you are drinking a little bit). Not to sleep more than 12 hours in a stretch without drinking something. And when you are awake, make sure to drink something at least every 2 hours. I think that is what his handouts say!

It's hard though. I am someone who was constantly thirsty and constantly peeing...and found I was peeing out so much water, I am on DDAVP now. Now I have to be more careful not to drink too much on that.

I think (?) this may be under other posts if you do a search you may get more answers. Like if you search for 'water' or 'fluids' in the topic title...

Keep us posted on your testing...

Emily

I average about 3 to 4 liters a day, BUT I make sure to balance out my sodium ratio with the water so that I do not flush important electrolites out... I take at least 1/4 tsp of Celtic sea salt to every liter of water I drink..... I also add electromix to my water for the electrolites in it...... You can get this at most health food stores..its made by a company called Alacer....

My doctor finally told me that i needed to drink at least 2 liters of water a day. Its not enough, I drink lots more. But I am still thirsty. Vanessa

Here is something I learned from a famous doctor who specializes in diabetes insipidus--(NOT the common diabetes, rather a lack of desmopressin--the antidiruetic hormone which causes one to have to drink constantly.)

Unless your thirst mechanism is impaired, one should drink to satisfy thirst.

The thirst mechanism works to balance salt and water in the body. If you eat more salt you will naturally become thirsty to balance the salt with the water.

Guest CyberPixie

It's fine to take 12 glasses a day and a few more in hot weather or exercise. You wont upset the balance with this much.

You have to be careful how you drink too, if you're downing lots in one go thats just as bad as say drinking 10 litres in a day.

www.watercure.com is a pretty good site if anyone if interested.

The problem with most main stream Dr's and their thinking is the belief that being thirsty is the sign of when to drink fluid when actually by the time you get to feeling thirsty your body has already started the process of getting dehydrated....

Hydrating at a cellular level is what people should aim for , and their is a delicate balance between taking salt and water to keep those levels in check.....

Good salt such as Celtic, himalayan salt is the type your body needs....

My aim is to always try and not get to the point of utter thirst....usually by then I find myself not feeling well.... Not always easy to do, but I shoot for it!! LOL

Thanks everyone.

One of the problems I have is that on weekends I sleep so much. At the end of the week, I am so exhausted that I can sleep for 12 hours straight and that must dehydrate me a little! I really need the sleep though.

But one thing I do now is drink some peppermint tea when I go to bed, so that at least hydrates me a little.

I need to read up on the himalayan salt, etc.. - it is all new to me.

By the way - I seem to be one of the only males on this website! I am starting to think I am a rare case!

Have a good night everyone.

Ben

Here is the advice I was given by Vanderbilt:

Drink plenty of water & other beverages...gatorade, v-8 & tomato juice are good selections. Coffe & tea are fine with meals but should not be taken in large quantities. While you are awake, drink 4-8 ounces of fluid every hr. Drink plenty of fluids when you exercise.

If you consider the average person is awake 15 hours a day then the minimum fluid intake would equal 60 oz. and the upper end of the scale would be 120 oz.

In case this helps any of you:

1/2 Gallon= 2 quarts=4 pints=8 cups=64 oz= 1.89 liters

1 Gallon= 4 quarts=8 pints=16 cups= 128 oz=3.8 liters.

So, most of us with POTS should probably be drinking about a gallon a day of a combination of water, gatorade, v-8 and tomato.

Guest Belinda

I wondered what everyone drank as I am getting tired of gatorade everyday!!!! Especially grape which I tought was so yummy in the beggining!! But I need the electrolytes...

My neurologist told me he wanted me drinking a gallon a day when I first got sick. This was pretty much impossible for me at first because of the nausea, but now I drink a total of around 120 oz of fluid a day. I drink Propel fitness water. I really like it because it is not as sweet as gatorade, has the electrolytes, and is a little more exciting then water. My mom goes to target and buys a cart ful of Strawberry-Kiwi Propel, and I will go through it in like a week! I also drink a lot of water too. But during periods when the nausea is really bad, my fluid intake drops so dramatically that I usually need a little help from an IV or PIC line. There was one 6 month period where I had a PIC line and received 2 liters of saline every day. But I think you really just have to find a balance that is right for you. What may be too much fluid for one person may be not enough for another.