Potassium Deficiency

Guest CyberPixie

Guest CyberPixie

This is a plea for EVERYONE to get their potassium levels checked. Whether you are taking florinef or not.

I say this because all last year I was nearly unconcious with constant heart racing and pounding and barely able to breathe, along with extreme weakness I could not get out of bed. I was so out of it I was barely aware of who I was or where I was. I thought I was going to die and after what I've just found out, I probably was close to death.

Potassium deficiency is quite common among the general population apparently and it can be a feature of POTS, in fact, the symptoms of POTS are not unlike the symptoms of a potassium deficency. A severe lack of potassium can kill.

Within 2 days of upping my potassium in food and supplements, my heart rate is much more stable, the weakness has gone, the so tired I can barely keep my eyes open has gone. The struggling to breathe everyday has gone (though I still get out of breath at times) I have more stamina. Overall I have been a lot better these past 2 weeks and potassium is the reason why.

Here's a couple of interesting links: http://www.joevialls.co.uk/vialls/potassium.html I dont recommend anyone self treat in the extreme way he did though!

http://www.worldchiropracticalliance.org/t...v1998loomis.htm

If my post even helps just one person to feel better than I'll be happy. Please everyone, arrange to get your levels checked today. While it's not a cure, it's sure made me feel better and has given me hope I can get some of my life back.

Edited by CyberPixie

Guest CyberPixie

Well I can't be sure but I am thinking it's POTS that has made me deficient as apparently it can be common in POTS. Though in the general population it's just poor diet, too much salt ( we need 5 times as much potassium as salt, try working that one out when we POTS people need lots of salt!), too much sugar which depletes potassium.

Also remember though we also need calcium and magnesium as they all work together, so everyone get their electrolytes checked, not just potassium. And it can't hurt to eat a potassium rich diet even if your levels come out as relatively normal (unless you have confirmed Addison's Disease).

Edited by CyberPixie

I've had potassium issues for years even when I'm not on medications. It does seem when I have autonomic storms my body will suddenly be depleted of potassium. I'm constantly having to keep a check on my potassium.

I also want to reiterate what Cybepixie said though....get all of the electrolytes plus IONIZED calcium and magnesium levels checked. My magnesium levels tend to stay low as well.

I have had it checked and it was low, but it was not previously. So now I am on potassium supplements, because I can barely eat anything any more. It was just checked on the 18th and it is edging on the high side now, but still in the limits of normal. My magnesium was fine. I am waiting now for a call from my doc on the other blood tests that were not normal. Vanessa