Question for Aussies – has anyone seen Dr Yusuke Sata in Melbourne?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Appointment went well. Dr Sata hadn’t heard of OCHOS or Dr Novak before getting my referral, but was still helpful.

I am to try two new vasodilator drug classes!

First is a nitrate, isosorbide mononitrate.

Next is nicorandil, which does something to the potassium channel.

Unfortunately, he confirmed that nobody in Melbourne (my nearest capital city) does Doppler ultrasound to check cerebral blood flow in orthostatic intolerance. He also has not had any experience with Doppler ultrasound.

So I will have to persevere with the nice folk at the Austin Hospital who have agreed to do TCD on me during a NASA lean test. The problem then remains of who will interpret my results.

I have found a neurologist interstate who may he able to help. He uses transcranial and carotid Doppler scans all the time, not for autonomic purposes, but I think he could read Dr Novak’s articles and pick it up quickly. I will ask him if he can look at my results, if not, I would have to travel there. It isn’t too far but I would have to go *unmedicated*, plane and two trains.

So contacting him is my next step.

@MikeO, I don’t think it’s available in the US, at least not through the standard channels. (Canada might have it though if you ever need it.)

Trying isosorbide mononitrate very carefully today … Doc said it can cause headaches to start with. I’m wiped out by trip to city yesterday so could do with feeling better.

2 hours ago, Sarah Tee said:

anti-hyperglycemic effects were mentioned. Presuming you and your docs already know this though.

Sure my Cardiologist is aware of the anti-hyperglycemic properties of ranolazine but thanks for mentioning it. this is the first i have read that the drug helps with reducing vascular resistance to insulin. I was put on the med before we knew i had a issues with blood sugars.

Sure i will spend a little time looking into the med some more 

2 hours ago, Sarah Tee said:

Doc said it can cause headaches to start with

yes isosorbide will give one a bit of a headache but this does clear up as you continue its use. sure it is from your brain getting a little more blood (more vasodilation)

On 6/20/2024 at 1:25 AM, Sarah Tee said:

@MikeO, this might irrelevant, but I just looked up ranolazine, just in case I end up trying it, and anti-hyperglycemic effects were mentioned. Presuming you and your docs already know this though.

found a study that shows the glycemic improvements. my only question is if ranolazine is responsible for some the my slow response to low blood sugars.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8741377/