Weak legs with HyperPOTS

Pattie

I haven't seen weak legs discussed as a symptom of POTS, but I am finding that when I have POTS episodes, I often can't stand or walk because my legs lose strength. They become like wet noodles. Is this typical of HyperPots or do I need to start exploring what else might be going on? Anybody have symptoms like mine?

I don’t have POTS, but when the blood flow to my brain drops, I lose strength in my legs (probably all over too, but the legs are the most obvious). Your brain fires the nerves that make your muscles work, so if your brain isn’t working well, neither are your muscles.

Another way to think of weak legs is that it’s a symptom of presyncope. I believe the knees are what give way first when your body decides to faint, so having weak legs could means you are on the way to fainting.

My dad has occasional VVS at times of severe emotional stress. His knees give way and he falls to his knees if it’s a minor episode, or goes all the way to the floor and briefly blacks out if it’s more serious.

"The orthostatic symptoms consist of symptoms of reduced cerebral perfusion coupled with those of sympathetic activation. The most common symptoms are lightheadedness, palpitations, symptoms of presyncope, tremulousness, and weakness or heaviness (especially of the legs)."

Low, P. A., Sandroni, P., Joyner, M., & Shen, W.-K. (2009). Postural Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology, 20(3), 352–358. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-8167.2008.01407.x

1 hour ago, albertspa said:

The orthostatic symptoms consist of symptoms of reduced cerebral perfusion coupled with those of sympathetic activation

unfortunately those of us with nOH don't experience the sympathetic activation and when we do it comes in with a vengeance at the last moment. I am just happy i am on a good beta blocker. i know folks that have coded while laying on the floor with hPOTS seizures and yes i do get these.