Seeing better during remission

I’m currently in partial remission again (took short course of steroids for allergic rash/itching last month), and am amazed at the difference in my vision.

I mean, I also feel better in other ways – less fatigue, able to stand for longer, concentrate for longer.

But my vision is different, especially outside in daylight. There was nothing actually wrong with it before that I could put my finger on, it wasn’t blurry or greyed out, no spots.

It just feels like my brain switched to Technicolor. Everything is brighter, sharper, more colourful. Like it used to be in the “olden days”, before my symptoms took over full days, some ten years ago. It is quite “trippy” and unsettling, as though I have been transported back in time, or been in a coma and just woken up.

I think it’s a combination of my eyes getting proper blood flow and my brain getting proper blood flow.

(Don’t notice any change in my hearing, but perhaps I would if I had a trained ear like a musician or actor.)

Does anyone else notice an improvement in their eyesight or hearing when feeling better? I know we have impairment with approaching syncope, like tunnel vision, muffled hearing. But how about a boost when you feel better, e.g. after medication or IV fluids?

My vision varies widely depending upon how flared up I am! It varies from 20/40 when good, to 20/100 when badly flared. I find it directly correlated. On a bad day blurry, dry, painful, tunnel vision.

My hearing also varies with flares.

5 hours ago, Sarah Tee said:

It just feels like my brain switched to Technicolor. Everything is brighter, sharper, more colourful.

I have cervical spine instability along with all else, and when I had a particular sort of adjustment to my neck (Atlas Orthogonal), I experienced precisely that change you mention @Sarah Tee.  Life sprung into color and definition all around me as I had not seen it in ages.  I suspect nerves not impinged and/or improved blood flow.  My experience was brief--a few hours--but unmistakable.  

My vision varies with fatigue. I have diplopia and have prism lenses to help reduce this. My orthoptist expects vision problems to get worse later in the day and worse if doing close work.

If you are feeling better and less tired then I would expect you to have fewer vision issues.

(My vision issues probably stem from nerve damage during one of my operations. The physiotherapist picked it up (not a doctor) and this was confirmed by the opthalmologist and orthoptist. Unfortunately the damage cannot be corrected but was a cause of increased fatigue.)

1 hour ago, Sarah Tee said:

Thank you so much everyone for the interesting replies. Another area of our illness that could be documented and studied one day!

Well vision changes is just a symptom of what? there are a number of issues that can contribute to this. I can tell you that BG variances do contribute as the lens of the eye changes and is well noted. BP's also contribute and is well noted as well. I also have Anisocoria so is this a issue as well? I would love to equate this to dysautonomia but my feeling there are other factors that come into play.