Articles/Info regarding Mestinon

lalalisa

Hello,

I have a dr's appointment on Thursday with my family dr. I am hoping to take some articles/info to him about Mestinon --- and hoping he'll prescribe it for me.

Does anyone have any good articles about how it helps with dysautonomia?

Thanks!!

Lisa

All I've found so far is this (it's actually from potsplace.org):

Mestinon (Pyridostigmine Bromide) has traditionally been used to treat myashenia gravis, but is now sometimes being used to treat POTS patients (Grubb, 2002). Mestinon works by inhibiting the breakdown of acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is the main chemical messenger of the parasympathetic nervous system. Some POTS patients may have immune systems that are mistakenly making antibodies that are plugging up acetylcholine receptors (Grubb, 2002). Mestinon works to unplug these receptors by allowing more acetylcholine to remain at the neuromuscular junction.

bump

lisa -

i have another article for you but don't have a link, only the acrobat document. i can't send attachments through the the forum but if you PM or email me your email i can send it to you.

the article is:

Title: Pyridostigmine for treatment of neurogenic orthostatic

hypertension: A follow-up survey study

Author(s): Paola Sandroni, Tonette L. Opfer-Gehrking, Wolfgang Singer,

et al.

Source: Clinical Autonomic Research

ISSN: 0959-9851

Issue: Volume 15, Issue Number 1 pages: 51 - 53

if anyone else is interested just PM me your email & i can forward it as an attachment.

:wub: melissa

lisa-

sorry for my should-be-sleeping brainfog. i realized that i already have your email addy so i sent the article your way. let me know if there are any problems getting or opening it.

:wub: melissa

jan-

i'd be glad to, but you need to email or PM me with your actual email address as i can't send an attachment through the email feature on the forum. if you don't want to send it through the forum my direct email is sunfishgirl@jhu.edu.

:rolleyes: melissa

Melissa and Jan,

Thanks to both of you!! My pcp is looking into prescribing this drug after reading over the articles you posted for me.

Thanks again!

Lisa