Went to see Environmental Dr.

PattiL

Hi Everyone,

Well, Chrissy and I had our appt. with one of Dr. Dearborn's associates last Wednesday. Her name is Dr. Fagan and she is also with University Hospitals in Cleveland. They opened up a new clinic at UH this February.

"Dorr G. Dearborn, MD, PhD, Director of the Mary Ann Swetland Center for Environmental Health at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, has announced the opening of the Swetland Environmental Health Clinic at University Hospitals of Cleveland.

Kathleen M. Fagan, MD, MPH, is the new medical director of the Environmental Health Clinic. She is board-certified in Occupational Medicine and an Assistant Professor in the Department of Family Medicine at Case Western Reserve University.

"This environmental health clinic, unique in Northeast Ohio, will provide consultations with health experts in chemical, physical and biological sources of disease," Dr. Fagan says. "Our clinic staff is prepared to treat patients with occupational asthma, reproductive disorders, lung diseases, dermatitis, cancers, chemical and metal poisonings."

It was mostly a question and answer session. She gave us a web-site that she is a member of called environmental health watch, it's www.ehw.org, which if anyone is interested had a lot of good information. She suggested pulling out the carpet at least in Chrissy's bedroom, as well as other areas of the house if possible. She also said the HEPA air purifiers are the best way to go, as many of you stated to me on a previous post. She said she recalls seeing another patient with POTS and similiar circumstances, where they felt better away from home. She was going to try and find their records to compare to Chrissy's.

She also said the best bet is to get an environmental company to come out an test our house. I have to call around this week to see just how much it'll cost, I'm afraid it's going to be too expensive to do right now. I think we're also just going to purchase a HEPA purifier for her bedroom and not rip out the carpet just yet. Our house is only 5 years old, it would be such an expense replacing all the carpeting with hardwood. We just don't have the funds right now with two kids in college :lol:

Well, just thought I'd update everyone,

Take care, Patti

A comment about Hepa filtration. My allergist is one of the best in the US--and has been president of that AMA division--according to him, unless you get one of those hospital quality filtration systems that creates positive pressure, forcing "unfiltered" air away, then Hepa is pretty useless with regard to the total air quaility you'll experience.

Just a thought. BTW, those type of machines are out of my $$ reach.

Yes, there is a member here who got POTS following a severe occupational chemical exposure.

Nina