Guess I was lucky...

DavidH

I just read Lizzys post and I just get so angry at the Medical field for putting folks like Lizzy through such B... S... I guess I was just very lucky with my Doctors. I went from my MD to my Neuro to a Elip spec who sent me to an electrophy after detecting reduced blood flow to the brain during one of my altered states. I think some of you call it brainfog but I call it super brainfog. The spec gave me a tilt table test and that was that...no BS...no mind games.. Thank you God for sending me to the right people. It only took one failed try at meds and then the atenolol that worked almost immed....So please any newly dia folks reading this you know that you are not "mental" dont let anyone put you down for being afraid or for being confused or for being sick or for being depressed. Dont ever give up...keep looking for that something that will allow you to live almost norm again.

Thanks for the encouragement. Thank God for the one Dr or Nurse who will stay a little later, dig a little deeper and listen a little longer. Good wishes too you.

ernie -

i don't disagree that there can be disparities between how men & women are treated, but i've had every experience from A to Z. from "you're nuts" to automatically getting triaged into cardiac. it doesn't make it any better or less messed up (the system & poor treatment), but it's not always a gender thing (as i've always been a girl through & through!)

B) melissa

Pamela- you summed it up in one sentence. Very well said!! There are doctors who care, but you do have to dig and keep searching. I guess we need to remember these people are human too. In all honesty could any of us understand this wide range of syptoms if we didn't personally experience them ourselves? I guess in that way we are blessed because we can really feel for those that suffer.

WE NEED EACH OTHER!!

Hi Sunfish,

I did not say that it was always a gender treatment.

What I said is: "Women are more prejudiced with psychological etiologies than men." which means that for the same presenting symptom doctors will tend more often to put a psychological diagnosis to a woman when the doctor does not know what is going on.

This comment is based on psychological studies that were done during the last decade and which we discussed in class when I did my bachelor of Psychology.

As for my own personal experience I have never had a real diagnosis until I went to NIH. Since getting the proper diagnosis I get reasonable medical care (for Canadian standards of course!).

On thing worth mentioning is that the men in my family who have POTS and NCS did not have the same "psychological" diagnosis as I did even if they had the same presenting problem.

ernie -

i didn't mean to imply that you thought it was "always" a gender thing...sorry it my response came across as such. i'm familiar with the research too & don't disagree with you at all that it can play a role....just wanted to put out the fact that there are so many other factors too...

B) melissa

Edited by Sunfish

howdyeverybody,

thank you all for listing to me ramble.

some histery may help, 4 years ago doc sent me to mayo clinic,report sent to doc,doc told ME nothing found.I requested a copy for new doc this year,mayo confermed 4 years ago pots {mego pots}.this new doc IS great,but now I have to rethink my THINKING. not easy .been on pasil for years for pms. so in my file all this time ...personailty dessorter. .. family and freinds never believed it. BUT now atleast there is a name to the bp60/40 And brain frogg and all that goes with it.

LIFE IS GOOD!!!! or getting better at least.

thank you, lizzy