Low Coritsol & Low Blood Volume

Heya :P

I know a little about low cortisol as my bloodtests said they were low a few months back, however this is in laymans terms...i could be incorect or missing major parts.

Ok as far as i know cortisol is a hormone that is supposed to help wake us up and give us energy. It is also released when we are stressed, it helps with the whole fight or flight response and winds our body into gear. It is usually different levels at different times of the day (higher in the morning and lower at night). If this is low then it may mean that your body is not producing enough and can point dr's to other disorders going on in the body such as pituitary or adrenal or thyroid problems. (at least thats what they checked out for me, you have other symptoms that i didnt so it could change matters).

I hope that will suffice until someone more knowledgeable on the matter comes online and fills you in :(

Good luck with your tests! I hope they are able to find some answers for you.

Do you happen to see Dr Novak at Boston Medical? If so he is also my Dr.

Hi KLS,

I found this on Webmd...thought it may help you.

Low values

A low level of cortisol in the blood can indicate Addison's disease, which is caused by damage to the adrenal glands. Failure of the pituitary gland can cause low levels of ACTH, which in turn causes low levels of cortisol. Symptoms of pituitary gland failure are similar to those of Addison's disease. Conditions that can damage the adrenal glands or pituitary gland include some infections, head injury, and some autoimmune diseases.

A low level of cortisol can also result from internal bleeding that leads to shock. For example, severe bleeding during childbirth that causes damage to the pituitary gland of the mother (Sheehan's syndrome) can cause a low level of blood cortisol.

Conditions such as hypothyroidism can cause cortisol levels to decrease slightly in both blood and urine.