The Mayo Clinic

Traci

Hi everybody

It has been a while since my last post. I've been having all kinds of different problems and my Dr's still really do not understand the symptoms.

So I have now booked an appointment at the Mayo in Arizona.

I was just wondering if anybody knows how good this clinic is.

The one in Arizona is closest to me, I'm just hoping they deal with the types of problems I am having. Has anybody been to this clinic? If so, did you benefit from it?

Hope everybody's well

Traci

Traci,

I don't want to discourage you but the Mayo in Arizona does not have an autonomic lab so they will not be able to run most of the tests you would probably want to have done to figure out what's going on with you in terms of Dysautonomia.

Of course I hope you have a good experience, I just don't want you to pay all that money and be disappointed if you get there and find out they can't fully evaluate you. I ended up having to go to the other two Mayo locations.

I went to both. Mayo in Arizona, Mayo in Rochester. We should have saved ourselves time, money and a year of sickness and just went straight to Rochester. The advice from Scottsdale (stuck me in with Cardiology) was misleading and we spent a year of trying their suggestions without success. I went to Rochester and straightened everything out. I feel much better now. In my experience, the people at Roch know their stuff, the people at Scotts do not. At Scottsdale, you have to see an intake doctor and he had never even heard of POTS. Therefore, the rest of my care was probably doomed- oh yeah and I had to see a resident!

The cost of Scotts was double that of Roch.

Skip the hassle- why would you go to a clinic that takes their research from another clinic when you can just go to the real thing? It is closer to me- but not worth it!!

I went to the Mayo in AZ last spring. I was actually really impressed with them. I did not present with "typical" syptoms. I went there b/c my docs here thought I had a neuromuscular disease but they could not figure out what (severe tremors). The docs at the Mayo figured it out fast. I did have autonomic tests with the sweating, etc that they send to Rochester to have read and the the docs at Rochester and Scottsdale talked. I saw Dr. Scott in the Cardiology clinic. I am not sure how they would be for treatment as while they were more than willing to talk with my docs at home, they were not in contact with Dr. Grubb. But overall I was impressed with the diagnosis aspects of it partically because I saw over 15 docs at home that all had absolutely no clue. With all this said though, I have never been to the Rochester one and had I my opinion about Scottsdale may be different. :angry:

Guest Finrussak

I suggest you save time by sendign them your mediacl history and symptom lists...I did that and they honestly told me they couldtn help me...at the time Dr Low and his group werent wroking on something that they would or could correlate with my case. we begged...ultimately I was upset at being turned down but later greatful. Many have told me that even in Rochester, they had gotten mixed responses...had better luck with Vanderbilt or Cleveland clinic.. I am glad I finally got to Dr. Grubb!!!

I still need a really good full total body workup as I suspect a olot more has been scrwed up by the Lyme but when I am up to it I will try Vanderbilt...good dysuto group plus a good medical school hospital.

Even hopkins turned me down...for same reason as Mayo...no studies to fit my profile.