Bile Reflux

genie

I know a while back we discussed the gall bladder issue among POTS patients. Well, after 3 years of pain after the removal of the gall bladder I had the endoscopy and found out that the bile is now collecting in my stomach? I have another apt with the doctor on Tuesday to discuss all this but was curious to see if any others have been diagnosed with Bile Reflux?

Guest tearose

I haven't ever heard of this kind of reflux and look forward to hearing about what you learn. I have been on nexium on and off as I still experience reflux 3 yrs after gallbladder surgery. Are you able to take anything for now to keep symptoms to a minimum? When all else fails I reach for gaviscon tablets. They are not for daily use but if I need to get the acid down and out it helps. Good luck on Tuesday! tearose

Hi, I've had my gallbladder out since 1995. I had only one year, but a lovely year, off of all GI meds. In the fall of 1996, I started having what I describe as my phantom gallbladder attacks. The pain and nausea can be intense--today is one of my very intense days, with pain, nausea and spasms making it really tough to do much of anything. Even wearing a bra is too much pressure on my upper back...and I dont' want ANYTHING touching my belly.

My docs think I may having spasms of the "spincter of odi" or that it may have stenosis and abnormally high pressures, causing the bile to back up, or reflux into the ducts. They could confirm this by an ERCP, which involves threading a scope through my guts and pancreas until they get to the suspected naughty valve. Unfortunately, ERCP also can cause as much or more trouble, provoking pancreatitis, which makes my current pain look like a vacation.

Meanwhile, I cope by taking levsin, an antispasm med...and if it's really bad, I go to the ER.

I also have a long history of GERD and a hiatal hernia. Nina

Oh, this article might help you a bit with regard to understanding some of the issues that happen after the gallbladder is gone...

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic589.htm