High Altitude

Kitsakatsa

I have a question for everyone: have you ever experienced a worsening of symptoms shortly after arriving at a high altitude location?

I went camping in the high uintas (Utah) this last weekend and felt dizzy sick on the way up (too many curvy roads!) and then progressively worse for the next two days. It got to the point where I could no longer sick upright and I had to take a large amount of IM Zofran for nausea. Now two days post visit, my BP is still low but starting to climb upward after 3% infusion and lots of bed rest.

Has anyone experienced similar? I have searched through the research and can find alot about ANS, catecholamine levels and deterioration of cardiac output at high altitudes but nothing specifically about POTS....

I definitely notice a difference with changes in altitude. I grew up at sea level, and then I went to college in Boulder, CO. My POTS condition definitely became worse while there, but then I crashed again at the change back to sea level this summer (but that might not have been altitude related). Also, I don't know for sure if there was a connection, but as soon as I moved to Colorado, I started getting heartburn, and now I have GERD.

When I feel up to it, I still love to snowboard. I only make it through about 4 runs and then I collapse into my car (not literally), but it's worth it!! but between the dry climate, activity, and temperature, it exacerbates symptoms.

If you've found research that notes the ANS, catecholamines, and cardiac output, I think it's safe to assume that it'll affect POTS, though how much who knows.

Hope you're feeling better soon!