Travel

Dawson

I’m looking to travel to Denver, I haven’t had POTS long so I was wondering if anyone else has experience with this altitude as I’m from Illinois. I know with weather changes I can get a bit more dizzy and more problems with rapid heart rate but that’s about it 

Hello @Dawson I usually do better with high elevations than low elevation. I live in a mountainous region and when I travel to the ocean ( obviously at sea level ) I become very ill. I would just prepare by resting before hand and by drinking a lot of fluids. Be safe!

I think any environmental change can cause symptoms for us.  

I did OK going from sea level to Denver in the past.  However, I definitely noticed the elevation (as many people do anyway).  I felt slightly more dizzy (than normal!), and noticed more tachycardia.  When I went to over 10K ft while there (and also on a trip to Peru years ago) I felt pretty badly--headache, dizzy, fatigue-- until after a few days of adjustment.  Gradual changes in elevation are best, along with rest/minimizing any strenuous activity in the first days, to allow your body time to adjust.  Also fluids are very important.  It's easy to get dehydrated in a drier environment and also at higher elevations.

• 4 months later...

Hi, 

I would like to know some tips you could please offer on transatlantic/long flight travel with dysautonomia. I was diagnosed last year and have been in treatment since then and my symptoms are usually under control. I've taken short flights (the longest has been 5 hours) and have been okay - but I need to visit family on the other side of the world and was wondering if anyone in this forum has experience/specific recommendations for longer, 10+ hour flights? 

Thank you in advance!!

• 4 months later...

Altitude sickness is a possibility, though not everyone experiences it. Symptoms like dizziness and a rapid heart rate can occur. If you do feel unwell, rest, stay hydrated, and consult with your healthcare provider. They may recommend over-the-counter medications like ibuprofen. Denver is known for its sunny days, so remember to use sunscreen and wear sunglasses to shield yourself from the intense sun at higher altitudes. If you have medications for your POTS, ensure you have an ample supply with you and take them as prescribed. I've been a frequent traveler myself and recently discovered some useful tips for saving on business-class flights. If you're interested, you can learn more about securing discounted business-class tickets for your travels.

• 1 month later...

Traveling to Denver sounds like an exciting journey! It's totally understandable to have some concerns about how the altitude might impact your POTS symptoms, especially since you're from Illinois. The change in altitude can indeed affect your body, potentially causing dizziness and an increased heart rate. However, with some extra precautions, you can still have a fantastic time exploring Denver.Now, let's talk about the fun stuff! Denver is a vibrant city with so much to offer, and if you're into amusement parks, you're in luck! There are a couple of awesome options you should definitely check out.