Physical therapy

Bailee

@Bailee I was prescribed physical therapy to prevent deconditioning when I was at my worst, and mostly bedbound. The PT at that time was very knowledgeable about the ANS, although he was not necessarily informed about dysautonomia. However - physical therapy is geared towards keeping muscles and joints at their best, so all the Ins-and-Outs of our condition are not necessarily a MUST to know, at least IMO. I learned exercises that I still, years later, come back to because they work to keep me from becoming stiff and lazy when I am not feeling good. Physical Therapy can be a GREAT tool for us to manage our symptoms, whether the therapist knows all of the intricate details of dysautonomia or not. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

@Bailee I was prescribed physical therapy to prevent deconditioning when I was at my worst, and mostly bedbound. The PT at that time was very knowledgeable about the ANS, although he was not necessarily informed about dysautonomia. However - physical therapy is geared towards keeping muscles and joints at their best, so all the Ins-and-Outs of our condition are not necessarily a MUST to know, at least IMO. I learned exercises that I still, years later, come back to because they work to keep me from becoming stiff and lazy when I am not feeling good. Physical Therapy can be a GREAT tool for us to manage our symptoms, whether the therapist knows all of the intricate details of dysautonomia or not. 

Is there anything you told the physical therapist specifically. Because I called a center near me and i told them I had a referral from my doctor me she wrote pots to strength my legs and conditioning the lady who answered was confused and said they need her to specify what I needed done 

@Bailee that is correct. They need instructions as to what is wrong. For example Range of motion exercises after knee surgery. Your doctor wrote legstrengthening and conditioning exercises due to POTS - that SHOULD be enough, whether they know what pots is or not. The PT should be able to understand dysautonomia. Either way, the need for therapy is in what your doctor wrote. 

Bailee,

Don't be afraid to shop around. I've spent a lot of time in PT... so very helpful, with the right person. If you go somewhere and it's worse, more painful or they can't match exercises with the reality of where you are at.... try again with someone else. Don't give up. I've learned to stick with the PTs that are helpful and move on if one is not.