splanchnic blood pooling and dysautonomia

Ranga

I have always suspected that my dysautonomia has something to do with blood flow in my abdomen/pelvic area, as most of my symptoms are triggered when there is a change in blood flow there, and it started when I lost a lot of weight.

Typically, these are triggered when going from standing to supine. I am mostly fine standing. 

Interestingly, on days when I am symptom free on waking, I get triggered following pelvic twists in yoga, but when I wake up in a flare,  the same pelvic poses help clear my symptoms.

Also my symptoms get better after BMs, or after food.  For example, my BP was normal on wakeup,  138/93/70 after yoga, and then 129/80/82 after a BM.  

It appears that my gut/intestines play a major role in blood flow changes, and I am very sensitive to that for some unknown reason. 

I came across a few articles that seem to indicate splanchnic blood pooling as a potential trigger for dysautonomia/pots. I have chronic IBS and it appears that this could be also related to the blood pooling. 

https://grantome.com/grant/NIH/R01-HL122847-01A1

https://www.dovepress.com/postural-tachycardia-syndrome-current-perspectives-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-VHRM

"Symptoms of IBS, food intolerance and allergic sinusitis, are commonly reported in individuals with POTS.7 Although rarely performed, plethysmography may demonstrate splanchnic venous pooling in patients with IBS.8 The baroreflex response to reduced venous return (consequent to histamine or localized small molecule related vasodilation) can result in POTS. Nuclear medicine studies can demonstrate delayed gastric transit times, raising the possibility of an autonomic neuropathy; however, an increased awareness of symptoms (hypervigilance) may also explain some of the concurrence of IBS and POTS."

"While the peripheral and splanchnic vessels are most commonly implicated as the sites of venous pooling in POTS, pelvic vein varicosities may also result in significant venous pooling and can potentially be identified using transabdominal or transvaginal pelvic duplex ultrasound."

Anyone have any experience with doctors testing for this?

On 11/15/2022 at 3:06 PM, MikeO said:

Well if you do worry about bp's. going from 171/105 to 74/53 is a cause for concern.

I'm fortunate that I don't have to deal with this amount of variation. In my case it's the GI and thermoregulation that are challenging more than actual BP or HR variations.