Sudden drops in air temperature on skin my primary trigger - suggestions for coping?

Ranga

Iam in a flare right now and I realized that my problem is when cold air hits my bare skin, it seems to trigger my nervous system, and can take hours to return to normal.

When the ambient air temperature drops drastically, due to either colder weather or due to AC, my body struggles with thermoregulation, BP regulation and causes a whole bunch of downstream effects -different parts of the body are hot/cold, sinuses/nostrils dilate and constrict causing breathing issues, gut and bladder are either stuck or overactive, and legs (esp toes/feet) can be cold/hot with paresthesia, cramps, and spasm.

I have tried covering up, having warm showers, breathing, exercising, eating, yoga, acupuncture, having caffiene to hasten the recovery from a flare,with mixed results. Caffiene seems to be almost like the miracle drug to quickly reset my nervous system/circulation/thermoregulation. Keeping my lower body warm and upper body cool seems to be the way to go, but my gut comes in the way :).. When it's moving well, circulation is good, but when there's more stuff happening at the gut, my upper body heats up, and my legs get cold.

Curiously, the first time the temperature drops, my body seems to be fine, but then have a delayed reaction hours later or the next day, before it adapts to the new temperature, as long it stays stable.

Questions / advice -
  1. Why does caffiene have such a big impact? I have read that it vasoconstricts the head, and vasodilates everywhere else, which explains the return of circulation to my hands and feet, and opening up my sinuses/nose. I have also read that it increases sympathetic activity and BP, but in my case, it appears to lower my BP, and alleviates my fight/flight/panic state. Interestingly, a cold trigger also increases my BP and fight/flight response, so this just baffles me.
  2. How do I minimize the chances of a flare? I have tried covering up and layering up, which helps on most days, but the heat from the sun and hot/cold air from the vents can throw the body into confusion about covering up/removing layers, especially when indoors and supine/at rest. I seem to have less issue with thermoregulation outdoors, and when I am upright. It seems impractical to spend 24x7 standing/walking outdoors :).
  3. The delayed response to heat/cold is probably the most challenging because many times I don't get the signal that the body is overheating or cold until its' too late. Also, as the temperature increases in summer or cools down in winter, getting the ideal indoor temperature becomes a challenge. I get colder at higher indoor temperatures in summer/warm ambient air and warmer at lower indoor temperatures/cold ambient air in fall/winter/spring. Having hot air blow from the ceiling makes it worse as it hits my head first which makes it difficult to breathe.  Any suggestions on keeping a constant ambient air temperature indoors without making it a costume party or constantly meddling with the thermostat? 

49 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I just purchased a humidifier. Day one seems to help.

How does a humidifier help? My indoor humidity is pretty good. It appears to be more due to the temperature of air, although I suspect dry air of any temperature can make the cold feel worse.

4 hours ago, Ranga said:

How does a humidifier help? My indoor humidity is pretty good. It appears to be more due to the temperature of air, although I suspect dry air of any temperature can make the cold feel worse.

Besides being able to breathe easier the moist air feels like it is warmer.