Metoprolol lightheaded

Bailee

I was recently prescribed metoprolol for pots 25 mg once a day. I’ve been on the medication for almost 2 weeks . I’ve noticed it is definitely helping with my tachycardia- so my heart rate is jumping when I stand but I am still lightheaded and getting pre syncope. Is the medication supposed to help with that? My doctor also told me to message him if it makes my symptoms worse. I wouldn’t say that my symptoms are worse I just haven’t noticed a big improvement with the lightheadedness. 

1 hour ago, Bailee said:

I was recently prescribed metoprolol for pots 25 mg once a day. I’ve been on the medication for almost 2 weeks . I’ve noticed it is definitely helping with my tachycardia- so my heart rate is jumping when I stand but I am still lightheaded and getting pre syncope. Is the medication supposed to help with that? My doctor also told me to message him if it makes my symptoms worse. I wouldn’t say that my symptoms are worse I just haven’t noticed a big improvement with the lightheadedness. 

Hi Bailee, glad to hear the metoprolol is helping with your heart rate unfortunately most beta blockers will not help the cause when it comes to feeling lightheaded upon standing (orthostatic hypotension). 

There are physical counter maneuvers you could try if you haven't already before standing i.e glute clenches, crossing your legs and bending forward etc.....

Seeing that you are on a low dose of metoprolol i would hope your body will adjust to it and your symptoms improve. As long as your symptoms have not gotten worse i would give the meds more time to work itself out.

I would let your Dr know what has improved and what has not. Also when i was taking metoprolol i would take it before bed. The reasoning was explained to me is that as the drug gets into your system you kinda of ride a high and low so by taking it at night you ride out the high while sleeping. If it were me i would ask your Dr if this makes sense for you.