Landlord (and city) not taking us seriously when we say we need our elevator back

kurt

Hi, has anyone seen official guidance, or official studies, or official -anything- that states that climbing stairs are hard for people with dysautonomia? 

Our landlord illegally put our building's elevator out of commission and has refused to fix it. "You're young enough," they say. "You seem healthy. Take the stairs." 

The problem is that my wife's POTS makes climbing stairs a gamble every time. The stairs are very narrow and steep and circular. Should she sit down after she's halfway up a flight and rest until her heartbeat regulates? Or just try to make it up  both flights? We have a toddler. We carry groceries up. And I'm not always able to be there. It's so frustrating. 

We are trying to get the city to enforce the violated code. But making the argument that my wife's condition/s make the stairs difficult, if not a hazard, is falling on deaf ears. We've talked to officials in the appropriate housing office and the department of buildings, and they all responded something like, "Never heard of the condition. If standing up quickly is a problem, can't she just climb the stairs slowly?"

I've seen lots of anecdotes from others in this forum that stairs are hard. It's reassuring to read those stories, it really is. But it's not going to get us very far with busy city officials. 

If only we had a reference from a known source, Vanderbilt, Mayo, NiH, anything. I've been searching online but not finding anything. If anyone has any thoughts, we'd be so grateful to hear them. 

- Kurt (concerned spouse and dad)

Could she get a letter from her doctor?

There are lots of discussions here on the forum regarding stairs, but I am not offhand aware of an article on this.

Stairs, Good Or Bad For You? - Dysautonomia Discussion - Dysautonomia Information Network (DINET)

I know when I am in flare up I can do OK with stairs if I take them very slowly.  But I realize this is not very practical all the time.

Thank you for the kind reply! I had read through the discussions, and I hope someone will do an article on this in some publication someday. :) 

For the time being, perhaps a letter from her doctor could help. 

It also feels like this should be an ADA issue. I wonder if Dysautonomia qualifies one for ADA protection? 

Thank you again for running such a helpful resource. 

@kurt - if she is legally disabled she definitely is protected by the ADA. I suppose even without being legally disabled, with a letter from the doctor she should also be protected, because that would be proof of her disability and her special needs.