Stairs, Good Or Bad For You?

galatea

I find stairs hard too, I can run 5 km without too much difficulty (the first km will be the hardest), but I climb two flights of stairs and I am breathless. I wonder if it is somehow related to the running - the fact that the first km is the hardest - it takes my body a long time to get itself together - for the muscles to start working - maybe if we carried on climbing it would get easier when the muscles get going? I've considered stairs to be 'good' and try to use them. I realise I'm different to a lot of people on here who couldn't run 5 km, but I do still have POTS and am cognitively debilitated by it.

Stairs are a challenging form of cardio. Upright exercise makes POTS worse. I think it is important to do some stairs so you don't lose practice. I have gotten better with time.

That being said I usually take the elevator or escalator whenever I can. :) There are many other ways to build leg muscles that are more POTS friendly!

A friend of mine was diagnosed with POTS years before I was. The first thing she said to me when I was diagnosed (after we got over the fact that we talked about her symptoms all the time, and I could always sympathize more than any one else, but it never crossed our minds that I might have POTS too) was "well, that explains why you hate stairs!"

I'm not sure why stairs are so awful, though. I avoid them whenever possible. Honestly, I just don't care if I could be slightly increasing my tolerance by taking them. It's not worth how bad they make me feel.

• 1 month later...

Stairs are really hard for me! I made the mistake one time of thinking it would be fine to walk up three flights of stairs at a time... HA! What a joke. They wear me out, and I then have no energy for anything else. I also have proprioceptive issues (possibly related to my suspected EDS), which means I just have more problems judging how far to lift my leg up, how far away the step is, etc. All in all, a bad idea.

I have tremendous difficulty with stairs! That was my first clue that led me to be diagnosed with pots -- I couldn't handle stairs without my heart racing and becoming completely out of breath. That being said, and the fact I have avoided stairs now for years, I think some stair climbing very slowly might be good to do. I've become so deconditioned that I find I can't walk up or down stairs without pausing on each step--so I'm trying not to avoid them as much. Yes I agree that upright exercise for us potsies is the hardest, but probably the best for conditioning.

Stairs are the devil to me. I hate stairs with the passion of a thousand fiery suns. Ever since getting diagnosed with dysautonomia I can't even name anything I hate more than stairs. They use to make me feel extremely sick after climbing the 10-12 steps it takes to get to my room, now that I'm having seizures I notice that all of my seizures are related to the stairs and I get them either after going up or down them. I hate them and with the exception of the stairs it takes to get to my room I avoid them at all costs. Exercise is good for potsies, but if stairs make you extremely sick than I would avoid them. If they don't make you more sick than other exercises than I don't see the harm and more power to you. I need to be extremely careful with stairs though because so far 100% of my seizures have been linked to the stairs and about 75% of my syncope episodes have been. If they are dangerous to you than def. avoid them when possible.

Having trouble with stairs was also one of my first symptoms. Winded, chest pressure, crazy pulse for minutes afterward.

But, I need to be able to go up and down them so I started trying to condition myself with just two steps a day and added a few more as I could, and now I can do a whole flight. It's not comfortable and I have to go slow but I don't get winded anymore. I have no idea if it's bad for me.

Stairs are not my friend....with having Neurocardiogenic syncope and Pots I get out of breath easily. And also i have some severe issues with my knees so it's extra hard and hurts to use the stairs. But I can't avoid them most of the time because i live in a townhouse and have to go up and down stairs multiple times a day. When i'm out in public if i have a choice between taking stairs or an elevator...i would chose the elevator.

Before POTS I could take them 2 at a time and now I can't get up a flight or two without feeling like my heart will pound out of my chest. I have not passed out yet from POTS, but I can tell you I have felt the closest after walking up the stairs.