Mast cell priming with combined drug therapy

MikeO

Sorry if this is a repetitive post. Dysautonomia is new to me even though i have been dealing with it for a long time.

So have been Googling around looking at other Hypertension therapies (anticipating a secondary drug to be prescribed). Interest being that i have had allergic reactions to ACE and ARB drugs.or did I? so looked up if MCAS could be triggered by drugs and found it can (i have not been diagnosed with MCAS) so beta-blockers, NSAIDs (aspirin) and a ACE were all in my arsenal and are on the list of suspects. Anesthesia can also trigger an event causing severe low BP (has happened to me already)

Then i ran into a study on the NIH website (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25441633/) that looked at the combination of beta-blockers/ACE inhibitors reducing the threshold of mast cell activation. "β-Blockers and ACE inhibitors synergistically aggravate anaphylaxis at least partly by decreasing the threshold of MC activation"

Looking back this kinda makes sense for me as when i was first put on a hypertension drug it was just an ACE and was fine with it (or did not notice anything bad) but when i was put on a beta-blocker along with the ACE i became extremely ill with symptoms of a allergic reaction. I had brought it up with my GP at the time and was dismissed (whole nother DR story here)

I did manage to get off the ACE and started feeling much better till i was put back on the ACE and behold i became very ill again. This has happened multiple times. (I am now a PRO at not taking an ACE).

Now i am starting to think this maybe the case with the ARB as well. I broke out in Hives when we tried it

Not sure if anyone else has run into this? But i am starting to think there is some merit in the study as i can handle either drug in by itself but not when combined.