Unavoidable stress

cmep37

So having had POTS for ages I think I'm pretty good at avoiding stressful situations - I bite my tongue rather than say something that might start an argument, I only watch TV programmes that I know aren't noisy or scary, I avoid places with bright lights/loud noises and if I need to speak to my bank or service provider or make a complaint about poor service etc I do it via letter or email rather than the phone if at all possible.   But there are times when regardless of how careful I am I can't avoid stress.  Because I can't live independently I have a property that I rent out which apart from benefits is my only source of income and I am having a lot of issues with my tenants who have just moved out.  They have left the place a complete mess and are denying they are at fault.  It is really getting to me - it is so hard for other people to understand that because I am so full of adrenaline normally, it takes very little more to tip me over the edge.  I know my parents think I am over-reacting and possibly I am but I don't know how to stop!  I am drinking fluids like a fish, square breathing and resting as much as possible but the constant adrenaline surges are killing me and I am concerned I am heading for a major flare.  Any wise advice??

Hello @cmep37 - I am so sorry this is going on! I can imagine how draining and stressful this must be! -- I too cannot tolerate stress of any kind, but luckily my husband does anything stressful for me. However - when I do get stressed, b/c I could not avoid it, then I try to retreat whenever possible and stop doing anything else - no cooking or excepting phone calls or cleaning or anything ,,, just rest, door closed. And then I am usually so worked up in the evenings that I cannot go to sleep, so for these instances I have a prescription for Lorazepam. This helps to relax me enough to fall asleep. But stress like you are having right now usually puts me into a flare 😢

My PCP gave me a script for the lowest dose of alprazolam and I take a quarter to a half tablet in situations like that. I was told that I can dissolve it under my tongue for faster results. I rarely use it but needed to this week and it really helps. I also do breathing with HeartMath which either helps or makes everything worse. I also get out in the backyard and/or distract myself. I won’t check my BP when I am stressed because I don’t want to see the numbers.