How long after receiving saline iv do you start to feel better?

• CallieAndToby changed the title to How long after receiving saline iv do you start to feel better?

Huh - pretty much instantly! I run the fist 200 ml of my infusion wide open, and it helps right away. I can give you an example: not too long ago I had overdone things and my port was not accessed ( I need to give it 2 days of rest without a dressing b/c I am allergic to the dressing ). I ended up in bed, barely able to stand, with chills, shivering, ice cold hands and feet, unable to find words or think straight, BP and HR high. the nurse came to access my port and ran the fluids wide open. Within just a few minutes she was amazed to see my color turn from ashen to pink, I could speak and laugh, my feet turned from white and frozen to pink and warm ( you could SEE them releasing the vein spasms ), my HR and BP turned to my usual slightly on the low side and I could get up without even feeling dizzy. 

I get 2-3 liters a week and use them preventatively, not only to treat the flares. So I rarely get bad anymore, unless I am sick or stressed etc. Prior to the port and home IV fluids I had to be admitted to hospital for overnight fluids more often than I can even remember, every 6-8 weeks for years. I was always on telemetry and the immediate response to the fluids was always caught on monitor, and my vital signs also reflected this in my chart. It baffled many docs who thought drinking fluids was all I needed. 

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Huh - pretty much instantly! I run the fist 200 ml of my infusion wide open, and it helps right away. I can give you an example: not too long ago I had overdone things and my port was not accessed ( I need to give it 2 days of rest without a dressing b/c I am allergic to the dressing ). I ended up in bed, barely able to stand, with chills, shivering, ice cold hands and feet, unable to find words or think straight, BP and HR high. the nurse came to access my port and ran the fluids wide open. Within just a few minutes she was amazed to see my color turn from ashen to pink, I could speak and laugh, my feet turned from white and frozen to pink and warm ( you could SEE them releasing the vein spasms ), my HR and BP turned to my usual slightly on the low side and I could get up without even feeling dizzy. 

I get 2-3 liters a week and use them preventatively, not only to treat the flares. So I rarely get bad anymore, unless I am sick or stressed etc. Prior to the port and home IV fluids I had to be admitted to hospital for overnight fluids more often than I can even remember, every 6-8 weeks for years. I was always on telemetry and the immediate response to the fluids was always caught on monitor, and my vital signs also reflected this in my chart. It baffled many docs who thought drinking fluids was all I needed. 

Thank you your response helps a lot. I too am always told to drink fluids all day long and I wonder how many times I have to tell them I'll be going to the bathroom all day long. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/30/2021 at 7:14 AM, CallieAndToby22 said:

The person I live with told me it wasn't possible for me to feel better soon after the drip starts, but I do. Just wondering about others' experiences. 

My experience with IV drips has been really good so far. Just last month I wasn't feeling well and so I went to the hospital and doctor gave me an IV treatment and I started feeling as good as new by the time the drip was finished. 

In my case infusions helped me so much too. When I had a flair, than I took the iv, lay down, but after an hour I could walk, talk, work, blurred vision was over, headache and all symptoms have been much better. In bad times it supported me for 5 days, than the effect slows down. So I've gotten it weekly. It helped me so much, better than every drug. In the moment I feel better, because we changed my medicine and I need the ivs only as prevention. .

I think, there are some patients with POTS they cannot resorbe enough fluid orally, so they  ivs could support them in daily life ... 

• 1 month later...