Bad reaction to Normalyte?

Jyoti

Just wondering if anyone has encountered this and/or if anyone can opine on preferred electrolyte boosters.  My neurologist suggested either Vitassium or Normalyte.  He gave me some samples of Vitassium, which I used while waiting for the Normalyte to arrive.  I got the impression he thought the Normalyte was superior so I thought I would give it a go.  

No problem with the SaltStick (Vitassium) and perhaps some improvement.  So I was excited to get started on the Normalyte. Whoa..... I got so sick (dizzy, confused, shaky, super tense upper torso and neck) by the afternoon of the first day.  I thought...well, it may just be a coincidence.  The second day--same.  Third day (today) I decide to cut back dramatically but I still had about half of one pack and sure enough, two hours later I felt awful.

The weird thing is that I kind of suspected I got too much potassium on board.  That is a tough one since hyper and hypo kalemia have pretty similar symptoms.  I have had problems with hypokalemia in the past, but it did not make any sense to me that I would experience low potassium symptoms after having ingested a significant dose of it.  Unless...the salt was unbalancing things.  In the end, I did try some V-8 one night and dried apricots today and both times, adding a source of potassium seemed to ease things.  

I am going to steer clear of Normalyte for now, but am curious if anyone has experienced anything like this and/or if there is an obvious explanation I am missing. 

Thanks!

18 hours ago, Pistol said:

I guess whatever is higher in the Normalyte could be the culprit?

Yes.  Exactly @PistolAnd that is the really strange part.  To the best of my ability to see, Vitassium has a 5:1 salt to potassium ratio, whereas Normalyte has a 3.7:1 ratio.  In other words, Vitassium has more salt, less potassium.  Normalyte delivers more potassium per serving.  I am trying to figure out why, if that is the case, Normalyte reaction --which could be hyper or hypo kalemic based on symptoms, but which should be hyper based on quantities (if anything) would ameliorate with the introduction of potassium-rich foods.  Why would adding more potassium relieve hyperkalemia? That sounds impossible.  But how could taking something with a higher delivery of potassium trigger hypokalemia?

I may never figure this one out, but I am staying away from Normalyte!