Confused about NOH and POTS

gnnmi

@gnnmi - interesting question. With NOH your BP drops, and with POTS the HR increases WITHOUT a significant drop in BP. So - I am not sure! I have 2 dysautonomias - NCS and POTS. In NCS the HR goes up and then plummets, causing syncope, and in POTS the HR stays high - so 2 different mechanisms, but related. So I guess it would be possible to have both NOH and POTS. Obviously the malfunction can play itself out in different ways. 

Thank you. From my tile table test, it looks as if my heart rate went up 33 beats right away, blood pressure stayed stable for ten minutes and then dropped 28 points. I wonder if that is "normal" for having only POTS or indicates possibly both. Thanks. Can anyone interpret?

@gnnmi - I think that since dysautonomia creates an unstable reaction to orthostasis it is possible to have different types of malfunctions. It is a chain reaction with many different  intersections, therefore it is possible to experience several abnormal mechanisms. The fact that your BP dropped sounds to me closer to what happens in NCS, just not as extreme. Either way - both are dysautonomias and the treatment is similar. As an Example: sometimes I develop extreme vasodilation causing a set of symptoms and other times I have extreme vasoconstriction with another set of symptoms. Both are caused by the same trigger but the chain reaction is interrupted at a different stage, or by a different mechanism. For Example: sometimes the ANS causes vasodilation and the BP drops as a result, and other times the vasodilation triggers the dumping of adrenaline which in return constricts the vessels, causing HR and BP to go up. 

I think your question is best answered by your physician. It is possible to have different results with different TTT's - this was the case for me. One showed clearly NCS with resulting syncope, and the other one was positive for POTS. In your case a second TTT might be required to confirm a diagnosis. What happens when you do orthostatic Vital signs? There might be a pattern that was not caught in the TTT.