Do anyone get breathless with pots?

Nin

I've been feeling breathless for about a week now. This is something that comes and goes. I can have months of not feeling like this and then it's back again. It's like I can't get enough air into my lungs

Also I've been getting sore throats since November 2019. Do anybody get sore throat on and off. Always seem to get it when I'm having bad day's

3 hours ago, Nin said:

I've been feeling breathless for about a week now. This is something that comes and goes. I can have months of not feeling like this and then it's back again. It's like I can't get enough air into my lungs

Are you seeing a cardiologist/electrophysiologist? Often dysautonomia creates cardiac like symptoms though they are often secondary. I have found it really important to have an electrophysiologist on board to help pin down the cause of various symptoms. 

4 hours ago, Nin said:

Also I've been getting sore throats since November 2019. Do anybody get sore throat on and off. Always seem to get it when I'm having bad day's

There is also a cross-over between dysautonomia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis). I have both and, for me, sore throats seem more associated with the ME/CFS aspect of the illness. 

@Nin - yes, and yes. I get breathless whenever POTS gets bad. It feels as if I am not able to breathe in deep enough. Like I can't get that deep, satisfying breath that is like a long sigh - and it's as if there is not enough air reaching the lungs.  I was told that this is a common sign of POTS. 

And yes, I get sore throats often - I used to complain about that to my PCP, but when he checked there was no redness. And I would get it whenever I had the shortness of breath, so ofcourse I would think it was a cold. Then I had PT for a pinched nerve in my neck ( unrelated ) and the PT told me that the sore throat and the breathing difficulty can come because of lax muscles in the neck and chest, possibly caused by not enough circulation. If the muscles in the neck ( there are muscles inside of your neck too ) and in the ribs relax or tighten then it can cause these feelings. In my case it was spot on and I now do exercises for my neck and chest that have pretty much taken care of these symptoms. 

However - in the age of COVID I would be extra careful and ask for an exam by your doc. Frequent sore throats and shortness of breath can be a sign of illnesses, so best to get checked. 

I get that short of breath feeling and sore throats that have no infectious cause.  That feeling of not being able to get enough air is a major indicator that my HR is too high and I need to sit down.   It's really interesting that exercises have helped your sore throat Pistol - I know my neck is really lax (my suboccipical muscles are rock hard) and my ribs sublux a lot.  Can you describe what sort of exercises you do or is it a case of needing a physio to show you?

3 hours ago, cmep37 said:

I know my neck is really lax (my suboccipical muscles are rock hard) and my ribs sublux a lot.  Can you describe what sort of exercises you do or is it a case of needing a physio to show you?

@cmep37 - I too have really hard suboccipital muscles AND a rib that keeps dislocating!!!!!! --- The exercises that help the most are 

- what I call the chicken walk: sit down, relax shoulders with arms hanging down and back straight, move head forward and then pull it towards your spine, without moving your shoulders ... it will look goofy, like a chicken!!!!

- move right ear towards right shoulder, hold it, bring back up, repeat 10 - 20 times then switch side. 

- Move head all the way back, as if you are looking up at the sky, hold it, move back straight; then look down at your toes, hold it, move back. Repeat 10 - 20 times. Do not move shoulders while doing this. 

- Lie on back, knees up, feet firmly on ground. Lift head, chin to chest, hold and release, repeat.

I also use a rowing machine when able and that really strengthens the neck and shoulder muscles for me. I only can do a few minutes every few days but it helps. 

For the rib I learned how to put it back in by stretching from my chiropractor.

5 hours ago, Pistol said:

@cmep37 - I too have really hard suboccipital muscles AND a rib that keeps dislocating!!!!!! --- The exercises that help the most are 

- what I call the chicken walk: sit down, relax shoulders with arms hanging down and back straight, move head forward and then pull it towards your spine, without moving your shoulders ... it will look goofy, like a chicken!!!!

- move right ear towards right shoulder, hold it, bring back up, repeat 10 - 20 times then switch side. 

- Move head all the way back, as if you are looking up at the sky, hold it, move back straight; then look down at your toes, hold it, move back. Repeat 10 - 20 times. Do not move shoulders while doing this. 

- Lie on back, knees up, feet firmly on ground. Lift head, chin to chest, hold and release, repeat.

I also use a rowing machine when able and that really strengthens the neck and shoulder muscles for me. I only can do a few minutes every few days but it helps. 

For the rib I learned how to put it back in by stretching from my chiropractor.

Thanks pistol for that. I've actually just bought a rowing machine. I'm only doing 4 mins at a time. Is it ok to use everyday do you think? My partner said you're not suppose to exercise everyday, but I thought 4 mins a day would be ok. It's actually surprising how many people get sore throats and this is not on the list of symptoms with pots. Actually I think most people don't realise it's part of pots.

12 hours ago, Nin said:

. I've actually just bought a rowing machine. I'm only doing 4 mins at a time. Is it ok to use everyday do you think?

I am no exercise Pro but if you tolerate it every day - why not?