Info on hypoperfusion and anxiety?

Chillyhilly

Hi,  

Does anyone have information on the link between hypoperfusion and anxiety? I recently experienced a bad medication reaction which caused both severe POTS symptoms and anxiety.  The scariest symptoms were not being able to speak clearly, and decrease in cognitive functioning. It resolved after several days, with rest and fluids.

It’s hard to tease out what causes what, and even harder to explain to ER docs that this isn’t all psychological!

Any info, especially scholarly articles, would be really helpful.

Thank you!

@Chillyhilly - here is an article that explains cerebral hypo-perfusion and its symptoms in POTS. It explains what happens and the symptoms in detail. 

https://www.disabled-world.com/health/cardiovascular/lightheadedness.php

I myself can relate to what you describe. When my BP drops I get pre-syncopal or pass out but more often my sympathetic NS kicks in TOO EXTREME by dumping out adrenaline to compensate for the low BP. This then causes anxiety, tremors, high BP and HR, cold hands and feet, paleness, cold sweats and - in my extreme case - sometimes seizures. Cerebral hypo-perfusion can be caused by both excessive vasodilation ( low BP ) or excessive vasoconstriction ( high BP ). 

When I am in a hyperadrenergic storm ( too much adrenaline ) I also cannot talk right, I either cannot find the words,, they don't come out right or my speech is very slurred. This happens after a syncopal episode or a seizure as well and is all related to the insufficient blood flow to the brain. 

Also - excessive histamine release can cause anxiety and a medication allergy would be severe enough to cause excessive histamine release. If you read up online about histamine release you will find many articles about this. However - I am surprised the ER docs blamed your anxiety on psychological reasons. Anxiety is common in an allergic reaction!!!!